The consequence thread (Brexit)

Don`t get me onto the subject of the power companies. I mistrust all of them, they deliberately make their tariffs difficult to compare, it`s not a true market*. And privatisation was a British (Tory) policy.......

* They should all be forced to have the same simple tariff structure. They can charge what they like but it must be on that same tariff, one rate (for gas or electric), all companies have the same standing charge and no additional charge should the customer choose not to pay by DD (makes moving easier). A very welcome side effect would be that it`d make all those very very annoying "average use" bills obsolete. This would be a genuine market and result in a price drop.

So basically, not a free market then because you have trouble doing sums...?

"because you have trouble doing sums" : If you want people to have a positive view of you I`d try to avoid being personal on Forums.

Oh come on, every man and his dog knows that comparing electricity tariffs is a nightmare. Just as importantly it`s also impossible to check which is the cheapest supplier over the long term so consumers just think they`re all the same, so unless I fart about checking the prices every few months it`s a waste of time switching. For both of those reasons that`s why so few people switch. You know that`s true, why argue.......

---------- Post added 18-10-2016 at 15:23 ----------

This (high EU energy prices) is something I have now established. With facts. Which you previously questioned. As is the fact that there is such a thing as central EU energy policy.

I blame EU energy policy for this. Presuming that you're not now going to continue questioning whether there is such a thing as EU energy policy...

What do you have to say about this?

High energy prices in the UK is as much to do with the (effectively) non competitive market, see above.

High energy prices in the UK is as much to do with the (effectively) non competitive market, see above.

"because you have trouble doing sums" : If you want people to have a positive view of you I`d try to avoid being personal on Forums.

Oh come on, every man and his dog knows that comparing electricity tariffs is a nightmare. Just as importantly it`s also impossible to check which is the cheapest supplier over the long term so consumers just think they`re all the same, so unless I fart about checking the prices every few months it`s a waste of time switching. For both of those reasons that`s why so few people switch. You know that`s true, why argue.......

High energy prices are common across Europe.

I can't believe I'm saying this today but Obelix has a good point about switching and the value of competition.

There's a website uswitch.com (there are others as well), which will recommend you the cheapest supplier based only on information you will have available from your previous energy bills. It's not at all hard to switch these days, the process is pretty automated, and you really could save a lot.

We ended up with an outfit called GBEnergy. If you're with one of the 6 people have heard of, then you're probably paying way over the odds.

Edited by unbeliever

Having just had my mobile phone bill, and we`ve been on holiday in Crete for a fortnight, can I just remind all those who think the EU never does anything worthwhile, that they clamped down on those appalling roaming charges......

High energy prices are common across Europe.

I can't believe I'm saying this today but Obelix has a good point about switching and the value of competition.

There's a website uswitch.com (there are others as well), which will recommend you the cheapest supplier based only on information you will have available from your previous energy bills. It's not at all hard to switch these days, the process is pretty automated, and you really could save a lot.

We ended up with an outfit called GBEnergy. If you're with one of the 6 people have heard of, then you're probably paying way over the odds.

What I want is to know which is the cheapest supplier over the long term, then go with them. But it`s impossible to do that. Everyone knows the energy companies make their tariffs so complicated so it`s not easy to see who is cheapest. It`s a well accepted fact that the energy market in this country is not truly competitive for the reasons I`ve already given. The Government`s answer is to let the Energy companies have even more complicated tariffs and, even more incredibly, send (even more) junk mail to those who haven`t switched "to encourage then to do so". Sometimes I wonder whether those in charge of us have any common sense whatsoever.....

Edited by Justin Smith

Having just had my mobile phone bill, and we`ve been on holiday in Crete for a fortnight, can I just remind all those who think the EU never does anything worthwhile, that they clamped down on those appalling roaming charges......

What I want is to know which is the cheapest supplier over the long term, then go with them. But it`s impossible to do that. Everyone knows the energy companies make their tariffs so complicated so it`s not easy to see who is cheapest.

By all means continue to rant on the forum about the energy stitch-up, but at the same time, do go on uswitch.com and see what they can do for your own bills.

It cuts through all this multi-tariff stuff and does all the hard work for you. Really. I promise.

It's worth doing it again every year or 2, but that's all it takes to get a good deal. It really is that simple. Honestly.

Firstly, I observe that you have now moved from questioning whether there is such a thing as EU energy policy,

I never questioned if there was an energy policy..? I questioned your interpretation and the consequences of that for sure.

through questioning whether EU energy is as a expensive as a result of that policy,

Strawman again...

now to whether the extra expense forced upon us by that policy is worthwhile.

Strawman yet AGAIN! If you read you might have figured the increase in cost is not due to the new energy policy being foisted on us, but something to do with the Clean Air Act, the price of coal and gas, the cost of nuclear reprocessing and nibmys not wanting new plant being built...

This all stemming from your warning about the really relatively small increase in energy prices resulting from the poor Sterling exchange rate right now.

No you just decided to conflate the two together.

It would be nice if you would acknowledge that my case, even if you still disagree with it on some grounds, did not deserve the ridicule you directed at it earlier.

You've not made a case. You've complained that you don't think that the EU should direct how we conduct our internal energy policy and all I did was ask for clarification of that.

Which I STILL don't have....

you are just gish-galloping here. I'm sorry but I really don't see any point in continuing.

---------- Post added 18-10-2016 at 15:43 ----------

---------- Post added 18-10-2016 at 15:23 ----------

Have you seen the comparison web sites?

They do all the sums for you and let you switch easily.

It's odd how 2 people can both be part of a conversation but characterise it so very differently.

Ok. Let's break it down. What question is it that I have not answered to your satisfaction?

It is a fact; as any reasonable person can see from the evidence I have posted, and verify by googling around the subject for a few minutes; that EU directives have mandated very expensive energy across the EU in the name of CO2 reduction.

I object to this, because there are ways of reducing CO2 far more cheaply and effectively that are not on the table because the EU has stuck its beak into the matter.

Edited by unbeliever

I refer you to the answer in post 5099

I am not somebody who avoids questions. I find it as frustrating as any when other do so.

If you want to stop that's fine. It's a shame because I still respect you even if I have managed somehow unintentionally to lose your respect these last few days.

But I genuinely don't know what you wanted from me that you feel you have been denied.

I expect that's my fault, but I'm being straight with you. For whatever reason I don't know what you asked for that you have not received.

What about the EU clamping down on mobile phone roaming charges ! ! !

This raises an interesting, in fact very significant point about who actually benefits from many of the other advantages of EU membership. How many of those who voted Leave (more likely to be less well off and/or older) would have benefited from said reductions in mobile phone roaming charges ? Furthermore, those who travel less will have also had less benefit from the right to bring in as much cheap booze ("for your own use") as you want. Plus, as an EU citizen you get an easier time at passport control and, in my experience, the queues are shorter for those with EU (and European Economic area) passports.

What about the EU clamping down on mobile phone roaming charges ! ! !

This raises an interesting, in fact very significant point about who actually benefits from many of the other advantages of EU membership. How many of those who voted Leave (more likely to be less well off and/or older) would have benefited from said reductions in mobile phone roaming charges ? Furthermore, those who travel less will have also had less benefit from the right to bring in as much cheap booze ("for your own use") as you want. Plus, as an EU citizen you get an easier time at passport control and, in my experience, the queues are shorter for those with EU (and European Economic area) passports.

Yes. That was handy. They get points for that. Not many as it's rather trivial, but some. Any reason to think this could not have been arranged without the EU?