The consequence thread (Brexit)

What about the EU clamping down on mobile phone roaming charges ! ! !

This raises an interesting, in fact very significant point about who actually benefits from many of the other advantages of EU membership. How many of those who voted Leave (more likely to be less well off and/or older) would have benefited from said reductions in mobile phone roaming charges ? Furthermore, those who travel less will have also had less benefit from the right to bring in as much cheap booze ("for your own use") as you want. Plus, as an EU citizen you get an easier time at passport control and, in my experience, the queues are shorter for those with EU (and European Economic area) passports.

Are you for real? You really think the most staunch supporters of Brexit are going to regret their decision because they might be a few quid out of pocket due to roaming charges on their jaunts to Kos and the Costa Brava?

What about roaming charges indeed...

Edited by Santo

Yes. That was handy. They get points for that. Not many as it's rather trivial, but some. Any reason to think this could not have been arranged without the EU?
A reason, a reason, mmm...I know, ask HMRC :twisted:

Yes, that was tax due on profits made from the eye-watering roaming charges of the day, besides other revenues. Would Vodafone have killed that revenue stream of its own volition? Would the Government have forced it to do so when it couldn't even be @rsed collecting tax due in the first place and then wrote most of it off? What good would that have done without pan-European collaboration, when Vodafone was offshoring these UK profits before tax anyway? Answers on a postage stamp :roll:

Topically hand-in-hand with the issue of roaming, I'm quite looking forward to see how the UK is going to extricate itself from the integrated EU air travel system. But still more looking forward to the howls of the Express-buying Brexit-voting hoi poloi when they get to see the impact on the pricing of their jaunts to Kos and the Costa Brava. Between that and the exchange rate, ze Germanese may not have to fight for poolside beds come 2017 or 2019...

...then again, maybe May will just write Brussels another big cheque to keep the UK in the ECAA :hihi:

Edited by L00b

Are you for real? You really think the most staunch supports of Brexit are going to regret their decision because they might be a few quid out of pocket due to roaming charges on their jaunts to Kos and the Costa Brava?

What about roaming charges indeed...

It`s not just about roaming charges, it`s about all the relatively small things that EU membership brings with it. There`s one other misconception, most of what is said on this thread is not, or should not, be aimed at staunch Brexiteers, you'll never change their minds. It`s the ones who were less certain Leave was the right decision, and bear in mind only 4% would have had to have voted the other way for it all to be different. The killer is that the Brexiteers are fully (sickeningly) in command now, so the Great British public will probably not get a chance to change its mind. After all, according to them, elections are undemocratic (or at least they are when it suits them).

It`s not just about roaming charges, it`s about all the relatively small things that EU membership brings with it. There`s one other misconception, most of what is said on this thread is not, or should not, be aimed at staunch Brexiteers, you'll never change their minds. It`s the ones who were less certain Leave was the right decision, and bear in mind only 4% would have had to have voted the other way for it all to be different. The killer is that the Brexiteers are fully (sickeningly) in command now, so the Great British public will probably not get a chance to change its mind. After all, according to them, elections are undemocratic (or at least they are when it suits them).

I offered best 2 out of 3.

---------- Post added 18-10-2016 at 17:05 ----------

I'm getting the distinct impression that the cabinet are looking for hard brexit and the officials are looking for a fake soft brexit. We shall find out now, who's really in charge of the country.

I'm getting the distinct impression that the cabinet are looking for hard brexit and the officials are looking for a fake soft brexit. We shall find out now, who's really in charge of the country.

I get the impression that (most of) the cabinet are looking for a hard brexit but it's dawning on them just how hard that will hit the country and it is they who are going to be blamed for it.

The cost of brexit politically matters not at the moment as there is no credible alternative to a conservative govt with labour in dire straits

. So a hard brexit it will be with the govt knowing they will have a further term or two after this one to sort/mitigate and problems which may arise.

The cost of brexit politically matters not at the moment as there is no credible alternative to a conservative govt with labour in dire straits

. So a hard brexit it will be with the govt knowing they will have a further term or two after this one to sort/mitigate and problems which may arise.

I think you underestimate how long it would take the impacts of a hard brexit to play out - it's would be a decade at least.

Anyway, as pointed out in the article I linked to, the cabinet are already thinking about softening the brexit for some industries.

At the moment every negative in this country is blamed on brexit so the impacts of a possible hard brexit are supposedly already occurring even before article 50 is triggered, wether further events will take decade are yet to be seen.

I understand that there is talk of a softer brexit but here the govt will have to do a balancing act of conceding enough to get what they want but not enough where voters for brexit, me included, do not feel we have been betrayed.

I would have no problem with paying to stay in the common market, which Tusk says is a no ( hard brexit or no brexit ), but if that comes with being subjugated by the eu courts and with eu immigration then I am against it.

Only time will tell what we get.

At the moment every negative in this country is blamed on brexit so the impacts of a possible hard brexit are supposedly already occurring even before article 50 is triggered, wether further events will take decade are yet to be seen.

I understand that there is talk of a softer brexit but here the govt will have to do a balancing act of conceding enough to get what they want but not enough where voters for brexit, me included, do not feel we have been betrayed*. I would have no problem with paying to stay in the common market, which Tusk says is a no ( hard brexit or no brexit ), but if that comes with being subjugated by the eu courts and with eu immigration then I am against it.

Only time will tell what we get.

* My bold

You have no right to feel betrayed because once article 50 activated that's the referendum, and what you actually voted for, complied with.

AND

You'll get it when the Conservative government is good and ready, cos there was no timing factor in the wording of the referendum.

Only a very few will not feel betrayed because Brexiters voted out for a whole host of different reasons.

Some not remotely connected or possible, like stopping immigration of people from outside Europe or the N.H.S. being massively boosted by free'd up money. Some within the remit of the exit team.

Sooner or later, soft or hard, you will get what you voted for.

Edited by Flanker7

Only a very few will not feel betrayed because Brexiters voted out for a whole host of different reasons.

Some not remotely connected or possible, like stopping immigration of people from outside Europe or the N.H.S. being massively boosted by free'd up money. Some within the remit of the exit team.

Sooner or later, soft or hard, you will get what you voted for.

They havnt even started doing that yet, and they should have started in 2010