The consequence thread (Brexit)

Yeah because my other citizenship doesn't count?

Says a deal about your worldview.

---------- Post added 19-10-2016 at 14:19 ----------

I said I wouldn't but....

You actually read Article 50?

Clearly it doesn't make any reference to the Cabinet. That would be foolish.

So you have to look at the Constitutional requirments.

801 years ago in a muddy field John and his barons agreed on a bit of vellum some stuff. Part of which is still in force and provides the very foundations of the entire edifice of law in this country.

You can worm it whatever way you like but Magna Carta makes it perfectly clear that the Cabinet cannot even with Royal Preogative overrule the Law of the Land and outlaw me from citizenship, not exile me, nor pass any destruction or judgement on me without judgement from my Peers or by Law.

That's whats being argued in the High Court, and probably then the Supreme Court.

I doubt it will get anywhere. Nobody is threatened with becoming stateless.

You can worm it whatever way you like but Magna Carta makes it perfectly clear that the Cabinet cannot even with Royal Preogative overrule the Law of the Land and outlaw me from citizenship, not exile me, nor pass any destruction or judgement on me without judgement from my Peers or by Law.

Sorry I don't understand the logic, what citizenship do you think you are you being outlawed from?

I'm a citizen of the EU as well as of the UK.

The right to travel and abode will be lost. The only way that these can legally be removed from any citizen is by due process of law not some arbitrary process in Cabinet.

The mistake you are making is to assume that 'EU citizenship' is the same thing as citizenship of a country. No it is not. It confers certain rights on citizens of member states, but that it all. It neither replaces nor confers dual citizenship on the citizenship rights of the peoples of member states. It is an example of the aspirational goals of the 'ever closer union' ideologues within the EU, but, apart from the limited rights it confers, is a kind of superficial or phoney citizenship.

Sorry I don't understand the logic, what citizenship are you being outlawed from?

I refuse to believe you are that dense.

---------- Post added 19-10-2016 at 14:35 ----------

The mistake you are making is to assume that 'EU citizenship' is the same thing as citizenship of a country. No it is not. It confers certain rights on citizens of member states, but that it all. It neither replaces nor confers dual citizenship on the citizenship rights of the peoples of member states. It is an example of the aspirational goals of the 'ever closer union' ideologues within the EU, but, apart from the limited rights it confers, is a kind of superficial or phoney citizenship.

Im sure that's convenient for you to think yes.

I refuse to believe you are that dense.

---------- Post added 19-10-2016 at 14:35 ----------

Im sure that's convenient for you to think yes.

Have a look at this.

http://eudo-citizenship.eu/eu-citizenship

It makes it clear (at least to my mind) that EU citizenship is not a distinct secondary citizenship such as a person with dual nationality would have, but a derivation of national citizenship of a member state.

I'm a citizen of the EU as well as of the UK.

The right to travel and abode will be lost. The only way that these can legally be removed from any citizen is by due process of law not some arbitrary process in Cabinet.

Dont understand where this came from, people traveled, went on holiday and worked abroad pre 1972.

Well parliament ratified the Lisbon treaty which included article 50 granting the executive the power to withdraw from the union.
It does? Where?

Parliament also voted to hold the referendum.
The EURA 2015 made no provisions about the referendum aftermath. None whatsoever.

Stands to reason perfectly well: it was a consultative referendum.

Don't believe me? Have at it.

Must be about the 5th or 6th time I've reminded you about this.

Have a look at this.

http://eudo-citizenship.eu/eu-citizenship

It makes it clear (at least to my mind) that EU citizenship is not a distinct secondary citizenship such as a person with dual nationality would have, but a derivation of national citizenship of a member state.

Your mind might be working in mysterious ways:

"Every national of a Member State shall be a citizen of the Union. Citizenship of the Union shall be additional to and not replace national citizenship.
It is, legally, perfectly equivalent to dual national citizenship indeed (dual nationals of 2 EU member states effectively have 3 citizenships).

Dont understand where this came from, people traveled, went on holiday and worked abroad pre 1972.
Read the link. Or just the above excerpt :)

You've been enjoying EU citizenship for 23 years and you didn't know?

Edited by L00b