The consequence thread (Brexit)

Yes, but he was naive in how he went about it - "Lets hold it when Glastonbury is on, when students are moving away from their digs where they registered to vote"

Also, manifesto pledges are not legally binding - just ask Nick "I pledge" Clegg.

You may have missed this too. Nick Clegg wasn't Prime Minister. But if he had been he may well have been in a position for his government to abolish tuition fees. Indeed I'm rather pleased that he wasn't. Having paid my own tuition fees I didn't really feel inclined to be taxed a bit more so I could pay the tuition fees of others as well.

Edited by foxy lady

The UK fishing industry will be delighted. Grimsby, Scunthopre and Hull might get a fleet again.

Financial services less happy with quite a few jobs relocating onto the continent or Ireland.

yeah and when they bone dry the fishing stocks and nearly kill it like last time, what are they going to do? ask for eu handout?

So 36.55% of eligible voters impact on the other 63.45%...

Everyone with a right to vote could do just that. Some chose to leave, some chose to remain, some chose postal votes, some chose not to exercise their right to vote. The rules were even bent to allow more time for people to register. The people have spoken. It was close, 48% of voters didn't get the result they wanted. They have to respect that 52% did, just like the 52% have to respect that 48% didn't.

It was a fair system with every vote counting, quite unlike in the last General Election.

Edited by Lex Luthor

My Nightmare on Downing Street is for the lying (he has admitted it), cheating (he has admitted it), philandering (he as admitted it) buffoon (personal opinion) called Boris Johnson to become Prime Minister. It is then that we might as well shut up shop and leave him and Mr Turmp to destroy western democracy and civilisation.

it's not a given that he will succeed.

i'm quite sure that his plan was to play a good but ultimately losing game so winning support from the eurosceptic wing of the party when mr cameron eventually retired.

plan b, as we discussed earlier, in the off chance of us actually voting out may have been to rely on the eu panicing and offering a better deal to stay, switch sides on the second referendum and ride on the back of that victory to being pm

sadly neither of these seem to be an option and given that his antics have infuriated half the party then it's no longer certain he will win.

out of the "big names" then Theresa May seems to be the strongest contender, though some of the lesser known names stand a reasonable chance should the party want a real fresh start

You may have missed this too. Nick Clegg wasn't Prime Minister. But if he had been he may well have been in a position for his government to abolish tuition fees. Indeed I'm rather pleased that he wasn't. Having paid my own tuition fees I didn't really feel inclined to be taxed a bit more so I could pay the tuition fees of others as well.

You're paying for Scotland's aren't you?

A general election with parties outlining their plans would be appropriate.

no it wouldn't

that would take months, given at least one, maybe two, parties will have to elect a new leader and also none of these parties will have anything like a manifesto prepared for this situation and so will need to prepare and cost them.

also, they have absolutely no way of guaranteeing that whatever they do put forwards will be acceptable to the eu.

during this time, confidence in both us and the eu will be ebbing away with all the problems that that entails.