The consequence thread (Brexit)

it was always only an advisory thing.

if there had been a massive majority one way or the other then you may have had a point, given the closeness of the result then maybe not so...

that said, the result should be accepted and if david cameron doesn't give some indication of doing the article 50 notification on monday then parliament should do it for him.

It wasn't a massive majority, it was close and both sides need to respect that and each other.

A majority was returned though. A majority considerably more than 1.

Agreed, the online petitions and the protests are pretty embarrassing. Every vote counted and if you couldn't be bothered that's your tough luck.

Well yes. As 15 million voted remain in the referendum it doesn't really say much, except a few of them are clutching at straws, particularly as half of them who signed the petition were probably not even registered to vote, old enough to vote, or even resident in the UK.

Heard earlier that the vote has to go through parliament to accept, but rumours are, that parliament might veto it!

It would be parliamentary suicide. Every MP that voted for it would be eviscerated at the next election. Their careers would be over. No Sane MP will go against the will of their constituents. That would be the same as saying they do not believe in democracy.

And bare in mind outside London it would be a monumental landslide victory for the party that would uphold the vote. If they vetoed it we might see Farage as the next PM. Can you imagine.

In retrospect I am very concerned about the UK potential break up, as much as the consequences of the aftermath of the leave vote. Wales & England vote to leave and Scotland and N. Ireland vote to remain. The financial and political consequences are with us already but the break up issue will drag on if Scotland and NI have referendums.

Thoughts from others on this subject ?

Again in retrospect, it would have been preferable to have the PM call for a referendum on giving him having a mandate to a) re-negotiate membership terms and b) based on the re-negotiated terms, then to have a vote in the House of Commons to stay or leave

Apparently the UK pays in 8 billion pounds annually to be a member. It is a hefty price tag, but obviously there are benefits such as negotiating tariffs with China, NAFTA etc with a market size of 450M rather than 65M

There is little doubt that EU bureaucracy is out of control and the UK Leave vote should be a big wake up call to the other 27 nations. Especially the immigration, employment rules and welfare issues imposed on sovereign nations. The call for "Ever closer integration" from a political perspective was a mistake in my view.

I would like to see the EU group go back to what it was as the "Common Market," a close association from a commercial and trading perspective, but without the political controls whereby all dictates came from Brussels. In particular I would hope to see Germany, Holland, Italy and France begin to think in these terms, if demand for referendums surface in those countries.

Those that wanted to keep the Euro could do so.

David Lammy and any other MP who calls for the will of the people to be ignored are an insult to democracy and should be ousted from their parties.

As should Alistair Campbell for his remarks that the people should not have been allowed to vote on the matter, and anyone else dismissing the will of the people to further their own agendas.

I'm not hearing similar disgust at the Leave politicians who lied through their teeth during the campaign and, caught fully flat-footed by their win, have been very quick to try and absolve themselves Friday.

I wonder why that is? (:rolleyes:)

Delighted to see this thing coming off at the political wheels within 48 hours. You ain't seen nothing yet. By an intergalactic mile. The coming constitutional crisis is going to be like nothing you've ever seen. And I'm not mentioning the economics yet, I'm very happy to bide my time on that one. You'll be back in near-recession territory (if not outright recession) by Xmas 2016.

Edited by L00b

I think a stronger argument would be that the electorate were lied to with the infamous statistic (which, apparently, a large number of the less informed electorate actually believed) about the £350 million pounds a week the EU cost us.

What about the WWIII and end of civilisation claims?

What about the promise in 1975 that it was just a single market, and the UK Government would always retain sovereignty over the laws made that effect the UK? My parents voted to go into the EEC back then, and are a bit upset that they were lied to. Should we rerun the 1975 referendum?

I'm not hearing similar disgust at the Leave politicians who lied through their teeth during the campaign and, caught fully flat-footed by their win, have been very quick to try and absolve themselves Friday.

I wonder why that is? (:rolleyes:)

They are not saying ignore democracy though are they. Are you saying the remain campaign was all truthful throughout?