Career advice - medicine or law?

There is an-pleasantness to being a lawyer. There isn't in medicine, major difference. The adverserial nature makes for an abrasive character trait that has to be acquired. Also, there is the morality issue. The law is not about the truth. It is about the evidence presented or suppressed. Whereas there is a constant truth in medicine.

The other negative post is focussed upon salary, wealth, earnings. How sad. I've never heard of a Doctor going into medicine for the pay. It's all about serving society.

The greed of the psoter is self-evident as is the shallow defence of their own self-serving background. Boastful and money motivated.

There is a nobility in public service and medicine is the finest example. Clearly, the law is not.

Lawyers, Judges too constantly disappoint and fail us. The latter are rarely ever punished and certainly not removed. Yet the medical profession has the most stringent of standards consistently applied. They may have life and death in their hands but we accpet they are not god. The legal profession does not deal in life or death matters. it just ruins lives, applying baffling decisions and applying all their skills and intellect to avoid prosecution of, for example, rapists and paedophiles.

There is a choice over the type of arena one would wish to serve or work in.

The medical profession is an unquestionably, and that is the difference, an unquestionably noble service.

Society does not unequivocally respect the legal profession.

Harold Shipman included?

Lawyers, Judges too constantly disappoint and fail us. The latter are rarely ever punished and certainly not removed. Yet the medical profession has the most stringent of standards consistently applied. They may have life and death in their hands but we accpet they are not god. The legal profession does not deal in life or death matters. it just ruins lives, applying baffling decisions and applying all their skills and intellect to avoid prosecution of, for example, rapists and paedophiles

What a load of old toss

The legal profession ruins lives - really how do they do that?

They apply skill - intellect - knowledge of the law to prosecute rapists and paedophiles don't you know

Every single doctor I know who is of the level of seniority to do it also work privately - how very noble and public spirited of them -

Oh, and to another nonsense post. I also get paid more than most software developers that I know. The one exception I can think of has his own company and is on a six figure salary so I'm not quite at the level of comparing myself to him yet.

They don't teach you much stats on a law degree then? Or did you think that sample size n=1 was a good size to use?

Are you a recent graduate btw? Presumably if you are then you have a lot of peers who are struggling to find training contracts? Probably quite a few working as paralegals perhaps in the hope of converting that work into a training contract at some point, and probably at considerably less than the average graduate salary.

Do you know many software developers? Is that sample size greater than 1?

I guess we can look up some real numbers though, neither my experience or yours is likely to be really representative.

Medicine without a doubt.

Morally it's much more satisfying, respected in society and does make a difference in every action. Litigation doesn't come near in so many aspects. Also, morally you are never the wrong side of right, having to perform indefensible actions and deny the truth. Something that lawyers, especially higher up the pole constantly do.

Oh dear, someone's not very familiar with the SRA code of conduct, here ;)

There is an-pleasantness to being a lawyer. There isn't in medicine, major difference. The adverserial nature makes for an abrasive character trait that has to be acquired.

I can tell you've never met any surgeons or consultants in your life. I have a couple as close friends and, in the abrasive stakes, I can vouch that, as a senior legal practitioner with 50% of his workload made up of "argy-bargy stuff", I have nothing on them :hihi:

The legal profession does not deal in life or death matters. it just ruins lives, applying baffling decisions and applying all their skills and intellect to avoid prosecution of, for example, rapists and paedophiles.
As said, I'm a legal practitioner. Solely involved in intellectual property, with an occasional side helping of contract law. When an inventor invents something, a designer designs something, a marketer brands something, my job is to ensure that they obtain the most commercially-useful monopoly rights for their development, and to give them advice that's impartial so that they can make fully- and objectively-informed decisions.

I'd love you to have a go at explaining to me how am I "ruining lives, applying baffling decisions and applying all my skills and intellect to avoid prosecution of, for example, rapists and paedophiles".

By the evidence of the aircraft carrier-sized bias in your posts, quite clearly :roll:

I may well come across as abrasive. I can assure you that I was that way a long time before I fell into legal practice...but it's bonus points for the argy-bargy side of the job, for sure. Perhaps legal practice attracts that type, rather than develops it. Job which I do for both sides, the rights owners and the infringers, depending on who knocks on the door in what circumstances: the service is always provided in their best interest, regardless of whether they are the good guy (patentee) or the bad guy (infringer).

For the good guys, the name of the game is to get the infringement (if there is any at all) stopped at least economic harm to them.

For the bad guys, the name of the game is to mitigate their liability (if there is any at all) at least economic harm to them.

In both cases, inasmuch as possible, without winding up before a Judge...because by then, both sides have lost regardless.

Same law, same practice, two sides of a same professional coin, no value or personal judgement required. And above all else - never lying. You get caught doing that, and it's curtains for the certificate of practice and the career. No client is worth that.

Edited by L00b

Just to contribute some facts to the discussion

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/careers/what-do-graduates-do/what-do-graduates-earn/

Law £19,699 £16,043

Computer Science £23,628 £15,485

The Solicitors’ Regulation Authority (SRA) scrapped its minimum trainee salary recommendations in August 2014 and replaced it with the national minimum wage. However, from November 2015, the Law Society is recommending, as a matter of good practice, that training contract providers pay their trainees at least £20,276 in London and £18,183 outside London.

http://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/stage/becoming-a-lawyer/the-truth-about-lawyers-salaries

The attraction of high salaries may draw a lot of people to law, but the reality can be very different. Salaries vary greatly depending on the type of work you do, which type of firm or organisation you work for, and where in the country you work.

And from here

The average salary for an Entry-Level Software Developer in Leeds, England: West Yorkshire is £25,328 per year.

The average salary for a Solicitor in Leeds, England: Leeds is £37,196 per year.

A Junior Solicitor earns an average salary of £27,028 per year.

Can't select Junior Solicitor in Leeds unfortunately.

Edited by Cyclone

...The medical profession is an unquestionably, and that is the difference, an unquestionably noble service. ...

Watch the underlings scramble to clamber up the greasy pole and you'd soon change your mind about that. Many medics are perfectly lovely and reasonable people; others shouldn't be put in charge of anything more sentient than the contents of a petri dish.

What part of these jobs is she interested in? I'm asking as other careers may be open to her that still might be of interest.

I was originally a Chemist and Microbiologist but then went on to do Environmental Science. I now run my own waste business but also deal with environmental / waste legislation. Expert witness work would give her some time in court defending clients. There are very few youngsters coming through this type of career. Most of the experienced people now are late forties or older. In a few years there will be a real shortage of people in this industry with technical knowledge.

If she is careful about her course and subjects she can keep her options open. Our career isn't the best paid for consultancy but experienced people can charge £500 to £600 per day working for themselves, more if they offer training courses. She would need to build up some experience first of course.

Just to contribute some facts to the discussion

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/careers/what-do-graduates-do/what-do-graduates-earn/

Law £19,699 £16,043

Computer Science £23,628 £15,485

http://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/stage/becoming-a-lawyer/the-truth-about-lawyers-salaries

And from here

Can't select Junior Solicitor in Leeds unfortunately.

Who wants to be average? It also doesnt reflect career earnings or job satisfaction.

Obviously some jobs are more interesting and better paid than others.

---------- Post added 29-06-2016 at 20:19 ----------

There is an-pleasantness to being a lawyer. There isn't in medicine, major difference. The adverserial nature makes for an abrasive character trait that has to be acquired. Also, there is the morality issue. The law is not about the truth. It is about the evidence presented or suppressed. Whereas there is a constant truth in medicine.

The other negative post is focussed upon salary, wealth, earnings. How sad. I've never heard of a Doctor going into medicine for the pay. It's all about serving society.

The greed of the psoter is self-evident as is the shallow defence of their own self-serving background. Boastful and money motivated.

There is a nobility in public service and medicine is the finest example. Clearly, the law is not.

Lawyers, Judges too constantly disappoint and fail us. The latter are rarely ever punished and certainly not removed. Yet the medical profession has the most stringent of standards consistently applied. They may have life and death in their hands but we accpet they are not god. The legal profession does not deal in life or death matters. it just ruins lives, applying baffling decisions and applying all their skills and intellect to avoid prosecution of, for example, rapists and paedophiles.

There is a choice over the type of arena one would wish to serve or work in.

The medical profession is an unquestionably, and that is the difference, an unquestionably noble service.

So clearly not a lawyer and dont know what you are talking about. Theres so much wrong with your post, you are beyond hope and I can see others have addressed some of the falsehoods and fantasies you have written. Obviously have some axe to grind.

Nobody wants to be average, but 49.9% of people are below it...

So it's a good thing to consider when looking at a career.

I didn't say it was all about the money of course, I think I actually commented on pay when someone else said something wildly inaccurate, or at least wildly optimistic.

Better to go into these things with realistic expectations and your eyes open.

Edited by Cyclone

L00b - Quote: I can tell you've never met any surgeons or consultants in your life.

What a silly thing to say.

Is tosh like that part of your opening statement in court? I wonder if you’ve ever won a case.

Most of us are touched by cancer in some way. Either directly or with a close relative or partner. The Sheffield Hospitals are world leading and access to Consultants is regular and supportive.

Your intellect and judgement are questionable. No wonder the law welcomed you. However, it is the medical profession’s loss. You’d have made a good porter. That is as long as you kept your ideas to yourself. Patently obvious.

Any aircraft sized bias you’ve seen clearly shows there’s no Specsavers on your way to work. You’re confusing it with the size of your ego and mouth. Again a professional requirement. Patently transparent.

But ego needs a further mention. Your post is all about you. I talk about the issue and don’t bang on about ‘me this’ and ‘me that’. You should consider how you come across to people. Abrasive doesn’t come close.

Debate the issue. Defend your profession by all means but lose the ego.

Eleven times you use ‘I’ in a sentence. It’s all about you. Whereas the Medical Profession is all about the patient.

That’s PATIENT not PATENT.

World of difference.