EBay issues - collection & couriers

I've been selling some large items on eBay lately, in the ads I've clearly stated cash on collection. Some people are wanting to send couriers and pay by Paypal.

If I were to let this happen and damage occurs (or the customer claims so) in transit, am I likely to have my Paypal auto-refund them against my wishes?

I suppose I should have put "collect in person" rather than just "collection".

I've been selling some large items on eBay lately, in the ads I've clearly stated cash on collection. Some people are wanting to send couriers and pay by Paypal.

If I were to let this happen and damage occurs (or the customer claims so) in transit, am I likely to have my Paypal auto-refund them against my wishes?

I suppose I should have put "collect in person" rather than just "collection".

I've found what happens is you are expected to give YOUR customer a refund then YOU have to claim off the couriers

How would I be able to claim from a company I haven't been a customer of? Is that possible?

No, that would only work if you were the one who arranged the courier.

I think you're correct to worry about paypal charging back though. They seem to side by default with the buyer and it's very difficult for you to disprove whatever they're claiming.

Perhaps you could accept direct bank transfer or cheque though and then allow courier collection.

How would I be able to claim from a company I haven't been a customer of? Is that possible?

Surely your item would have to be covered by their insurance ,regardless who books them so if your item arrived at your buyers address damaged you would claim off them for losses even if you did not book them ? Looks like I wil be wrong on this but always thought that's how it works

Surely your item would have to be covered by their insurance ,regardless who books them so if your item arrived at your buyers address damaged you would claim off them for losses even if you did not book them ? Looks like I wil be wrong on this but always thought that's how it works

The insurance will apply, but any claim would have to come from the party which booked the courier, they have no contract with the other party.

If the courier is booked by the purchaser and they raise a dispute with paypal instead of claiming against the couriers insurance then the seller has no option to claim. All he could do would be defend the paypal dispute by providing proof that the item wasn't damaged.

And paypal have bias in favour of the purchaser.

If the buyer has upgraded his Paypal/ebay account you can pay directly by debit card which cuts out paypal as the source of funds.

That may reduce the risk of a paypal charge back should things go belly up.

My new system allows me to pay directly by debit card or via paypa(using the same debit card) for the added protection it offers.

No, that would only work if you were the one who arranged the courier.

I think you're correct to worry about paypal charging back though. They seem to side by default with the buyer and it's very difficult for you to disprove whatever they're claiming.

Perhaps you could accept direct bank transfer or cheque though and then allow courier collection.

^^^This really.

If they are sending a courier which is nothing to do with you , I would suggest they are collecting by proxy. Get something with the couriers signature on it and take a quick pic on your phone of his van if you're feeling thorough.