Scotland should the tail wag the dog

Edit. The next issue is, in my opinion, how often an entity such as Scotland should get to review whether or not it wants to stay in the union. But as no date has been fixed for another Scotland vote, then they have missed their chance. Maybe Scotland should have delayed their vote until after the European one.

That's like asking how often your wife is allowed to consider having a divorce.

Probably, but she seems pretty confident that the Scottish want to stay in the EU (and that confidence is with good reason).

I expect that if they had a referendum right now, they'd vote to leave the Union and stay in the Union.

A little like if they had a referendum last Thursday for the UK to remain or leave the EU, the UK would vote to remain in the EU.

---------- Post added 29-06-2016 at 07:11 ----------

Is there anything on paper detailing that right or is it just assumed?

Nothing on paper. If you vote to remain it means you want to remain, if you vote to leave it means you vote to leave. It's a bit like if your wife asks you if you want tea or coffee. If you say you want tea, then it means you want tea.

Nothing on paper. If you vote to remain it means you want to remain, if you vote to leave it means you vote to leave. It's a bit like if your wife asks you if you want tea or coffee. If you say you want tea, then it means you want tea.

But is that Earl Grey,Breakfast,Builder's, with sugar and milk without..? You see things aren't always clear cut..

Hah, yes it is, I wasn't sure if it was publicly accessible yet ;) Just to be complete, here is the EU project I worked on.

Oh, and the link in my signature leads to my Youtube channel. I am a firm believer of not hiding in anonymity in online discussions. As some will surmise, I know what I am talking about when it comes to online.

PS - if anybody has an appropriate job for me, please get in touch.

PPS - I think Scotland does indeed have the right to self determination in this process. So if the job could be in Scotland, extra bonus-points.

Edited by tzijlstra

That's like asking how often your wife is allowed to consider having a divorce.

She might be thinking it all the time (especially if I'm on here instead of doing the gardening), but as long as she doesn't say so, we rub along OK.

If over breakfast every morning she actually said she was thinking about it, and then by 10am said that, for today, she's decided not to start divorce proceedings, then it wouldn't be a great surprise if my attitude to our marriage started to change after a few days.

Unless Scotland leaves the UK and applies for membership there is no way the EU can admit her.

Spain will veto that because the Catalans could use the precedent to separate from Spain. And don't forget the Basques.

Edited by davyboy