Women to lose their old age pension

Just read this and I'm staggered.

Not exactly sure what it means to the 100 000 women that are going to lose their pension.

Are they still eligible for a lower rate pension?

Do they qualify at a later age.

Anyway,it sends a clear message to women to not stay at home and look after the kids and /or be a housewife.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/22/tens-of-thousands-of-housewives-to-receive-letters-warning-they/

I wonder what demographic a 56 year old woman has to be in to have not worked for more than ten years in their lifetime?

It's more likely to be the middle classes that won't qualify for their state pension than the working class, as they are the ones who could afford to not go to work IMO.

I wonder what about people who couldn't work due to disability...that is scary...

The disabled people who have been claiming income related disability benefits like ESA or the previous equivalent, should have had their national insurance contributions credited and be entitled to a state pension. If they haven't worked due to disability and have been living off their partners money, they wont get anything. Same applies to unemployed people who claim income related JSA, they get their national insurance contributions credited aswell. It's always best to claim ESA if your disabled or JSA if your unemployed, even if your not entitled to the weekly allowance due to savings etc, you might still get your national insurance contributions credited.