Nigel Farage at Brussels

In my opinion the debate in the House of Commons is often derisive and divisive, it is the result of having only two parties with a genuine shot of leading it. I find it equally appalling how Tim Farron is often shouted down before he has even said anything, the same applies to the SNP (to a lesser extend) and Carsdale.

Without taking this down a long winding road, the level of debate in the HoC is, in my opinion, reflected in the way this country treats politics - soundbites over substance, particularly in the PMQs. I may be wrong, but my perception is that this has become worse over the years.

PS: I just noticed pretty_big's comment at the top of the page, as you can see, I agree with you.

Agreed. The problem is the major parties see the majority of the British public as idiots who can't cope with the information they need to make a good decision. People were begging for further information and the facts during the lead up to this referendum but all we received were photo ops on buses and repeated threats from either side. They wrongly believed that the British public would be told how to vote. They are not familiar with the electorate enough, eg the threat from Obama that we were going to go to the back of the queue got a lot of peoples back up.

---------- Post added 29-06-2016 at 14:33 ----------

So it's nothing to do with freedoms and democracy then? In your opinion?

Read previous post. The answer to your question is definitely there.

Edited by Lex Luthor

Why's he small? Have you campaigned for 17 years for Britain to leave the EU ? That's a pretty high end job. That makes him a big man as he's campaigned for something he believes in for nearly 2 decades

He also got paid very handsomely for it. And hardly ever turned up, having practically the worst attendance record of any MEP.

No, I have asked you straight questions and you try to weasel out of them.

It's a simple yes or no.

I have answered your questions as fully as I am able. I have been very patient with you and polite, given your actions.

Please refrain from insults and misrepresentations of the facts.

Agreed. The problem is the major parties see the majority of the British public as idiots who can't cope with the information they need to make a good decision. People were begging for further information and the facts during the lead up to this referendum but all we received were photo ops on buses and repeated threats from either side. They wrongly believed that the British public would be told how to vote. They are not familiar with the electorate enough, eg the threat from Obama that we were going to go to the back of the queue got a lot of peoples back up.

---------- Post added 29-06-2016 at 14:33 ----------

Read previous post. The answer to your question is definitely there.

Both the leave and stay campaigns just concentrated on their dog whistle sound bites. However, many of the answers were there. A lot depends on the questions asked.

Simple questions like "will I be better off", "will you reduce immigration" etc will get the sound bite answers, where propaganda and opinion rule . Questions such as "what could the UK do within the constraints of the single market to reduce the UK being so attractive to immigrants", or "What decisions can the commission make that are not subject to clearance by elected representatives?' can result in better answers.

Both the leave and stay campaigns just concentrated on their dog whistle sound bites. .

Totally agree.

Questions such as "what could the UK do within the constraints of the single market to reduce the UK being so attractive to immigrants", or "What decisions can the commission make that are not subject to clearance by elected representatives?' can result in better answers.

So, it was journalists/the media's fault for not asking the right questions?

But still not more than the EU total.

Which is completely irrelevant. That is a bit like saying: Look, our economy is great, compared to the US national debt our national debt is tiny!

I assume you understand that.