Sheffield City Centre Pubs - Nells Bar

I saw an old photo of Cambridge Street-maybe late '50s'- and just below Stokes' (Paint suppliers, Wellington Street corner) and the Hippodrome Cinema was a place called 'Nell's Bar' anybody know ?

Big Ada used this bar to drink.

Thank you and it makes sense as the 'Dixon Lane lady' took her business up the street to the Barley Corn.

---------- Post added 29-06-2016 at 14:13 ----------

Lovely little pub when I used it about 1960, always had a drink in there on a Saturday night whilst waiting to go into the Hippodrome.

In 1960 I wasn't of drinking age (so missed out on 'Nells'). What year was that block demolished ? as I seem to recall Stokes' paint being still there in late 1962. and thank you.

Edited by stpetre
Add

Lovely little pub when I used it about 1960, always had a drink in there on a Saturday night whilst waiting to go into the Hippodrome.

Same here, you could nip in while in the que ( I can never spell que:hihi:) I never saw big Ada in there.

Same here, you could nip in while in the que ( I can never spell que:hihi:) I never saw big Ada in there.

Ada might have been an early evening patron. Didn't the pubs open at 5:30 then ?

I saw an old photo of Cambridge Street-maybe late '50s'- and just below Stokes' (Paint suppliers, Wellington Street corner) and the Hippodrome Cinema was a place called 'Nell's Bar' anybody know ?

YES i remember Nell's Bar it was a GAY pub only went in a couple off times.

YES i remember Nell's Bar it was a GAY pub only went in a couple off times.

We had never heard of gays (who stole that word from the English language) when Nells bar was open .

We thought a gay bloke wore yellow gloves and drove a red racing car.