Is it possible to dump the internet.

And millions of people in the U.K do not own or know how to use a computer .

Firstly I think the word "computer" needs to be defined. Whilst I am sure millions of people dont own a laptop or big white box in the corner of the room, they may well own a smartphone or tablet which would get them access to the internet.

Those who really have no access to the web can still do so for free in any public library and many other places such as commnity centres, leisure centres and council facilities.

I think there are a few hysterical comments scattered about. Lets be realistic, the world is not going to stop progressing just because a minimal amount of ludites refuse to evolve. Even the current generation of pensioners have had some awareness of computers for the past 40 years and mass use of the internet for at least the past 15 years. They are still able to do things the old fashioned way if they want to and yes, they may well be forced to pay a fee or be inconvienced some other way - but tough. That's the price you pay for CHOOSING not to modernise with life.

I had relatives who never bought a washing machine and never installed central heating becuase they didn't want all that technology. I had little sympathy when they complained there were no local laundrettes any more or why they struggled to easily buy handwash powder or a spin drier.

The next generation of pensioners will most likely have used some form of computer in their work, will almost certainly have an internet enabled phone and thus have no excuse for complaining that the lack of internet ability stops them from doing XXX.

We need to just realise that this is a part of life now. Even if you only use it for the basic facilities - you cannot pretend that the internet is there to be ignored. Everyone, no matter how old, has some ability to learn. 60 years ago most lifts were operated by a smartly uniformed gent or some pretty girl attendant. The trend changed, the world evolved and now most lifts are operated by people directly by pushing some buttons. There is not a handful of people around scratching their heads stuck using the stairs is there? NO, people learned how to do it and got on with it.

The same applied with mutli-channel television. Somehow people coped with learning how to operate an Electronic Programme Guide over their old fashioned push a channel number remote.

The same applied with prox card bus passes. Suddenly those paper passes waved at the driver were replaced with having to scan them onto a machine or even god forbid automatic ticket gates. Surprise surprise, people coped.

Now we are getting the point where basic utilities and payments are dealt with online using a web portal. Why is this singled out for the reluctance.

Its just a tool. That's all. Use it as much or as little as you want but nobody should be choosing to shut it out altogether.

Edited by ECCOnoob

As a nation, we're now down to 10% of people not being Internet users (in the last three months). It's a figure decreasing year on year, with the largest take up of users being the over 65s.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindustryandtrade/itandinternetindustry/bulletins/internetusers/2016

The longer you've been with it, the harder it is to do without it. I've been 'on the net' for 22 years now, it's as much second nature as pubs staying open all day Sunday and having a debit card.

Over the last few days I have grown sick and tired of the the internet.

The on line insults aimed at the Brexit voters , the continuous arguments over the slightest disagreement on whatever subject is aired on line.

The racism , The ageism , the sexism , and the continuous bickering has made me think ,can I chuck this blooody machine in the bin and get back to basics.

I know that up to now I use it for banking, paying the gas bill, insuring the car, and keeping in touch with distant relations in some god forsaken corner of whatever Country they have run away to.

But do I really need it, why not just send a letter, call in the bank or visit the gas board to pay the bill.

Why am I bothered about uncle Fred in Nova Scotia or a cousin down South who I will never see again and have never liked any way ,

Why not just concentrate on day to day mundane living without bothering about what every body else thinks .

Will I just be invisible if I chuck this bloooody machine in the bin.

What an interesting question ! I also get fed up with the internet and FB in particular. But after 3 or 4 days away from it, I feel an urge to return. I miss the " Chat" on fb as I feel as though I'm chatting over my garden wall to a neighbour. It's this " contact " with people that draws me to it !

But if you haven't got a car you can get a bus or walk. If a company or whoever says something can only be done on line you would have to go without.

Are there any examples of things that can ONLY be done online?

Are there any examples of things that can ONLY be done online?

there was a thread on here a while back about having to use a smartphone to pay the toll on the Dartford crossing.

No phone, no internet access to your funds, no crossing

---------- Post added 04-07-2016 at 08:12 ----------

Firstly I think the word "computer" needs to be defined. Whilst I am sure millions of people dont own a laptop or big white box in the corner of the room, they may well own a smartphone or tablet which would get them access to the internet.

Those who really have no access to the web can still do so for free in any public library and many other places such as commnity centres, leisure centres and council facilities.

I think there are a few hysterical comments scattered about. Lets be realistic, the world is not going to stop progressing just because a minimal amount of ludites refuse to evolve. Even the current generation of pensioners have had some awareness of computers for the past 40 years and mass use of the internet for at least the past 15 years. They are still able to do things the old fashioned way if they want to and yes, they may well be forced to pay a fee or be inconvienced some other way - but tough. That's the price you pay for CHOOSING not to modernise with life.

I had relatives who never bought a washing machine and never installed central heating becuase they didn't want all that technology. I had little sympathy when they complained there were no local laundrettes any more or why they struggled to easily buy handwash powder or a spin drier.

The next generation of pensioners will most likely have used some form of computer in their work, will almost certainly have an internet enabled phone and thus have no excuse for complaining that the lack of internet ability stops them from doing XXX.

We need to just realise that this is a part of life now. Even if you only use it for the basic facilities - you cannot pretend that the internet is there to be ignored. Everyone, no matter how old, has some ability to learn. 60 years ago most lifts were operated by a smartly uniformed gent or some pretty girl attendant. The trend changed, the world evolved and now most lifts are operated by people directly by pushing some buttons. There is not a handful of people around scratching their heads stuck using the stairs is there? NO, people learned how to do it and got on with it.

The same applied with mutli-channel television. Somehow people coped with learning how to operate an Electronic Programme Guide over their old fashioned push a channel number remote.

The same applied with prox card bus passes. Suddenly those paper passes waved at the driver were replaced with having to scan them onto a machine or even god forbid automatic ticket gates. Surprise surprise, people coped.

Now we are getting the point where basic utilities and payments are dealt with online using a web portal. Why is this singled out for the reluctance.

Its just a tool. That's all. Use it as much or as little as you want but nobody should be choosing to shut it out altogether.

you are right. it's not about using the internet, my concern is about the traces you leave - all open for (at best) targeted advertising and (at worst) some hacker leaving you with heap big problems

Turned out not to be true though

Other ways to pay

You can:

set up an account or apply for a local resident discount account by post

pay with cash at a payzone outlet

pay in advance or top-up a Dart Charge account by post

pay or set up an account by phone

convert an old Dart Tag account into a Dart Charge account by phone - you can no longer do this online