Cat attacked..by dogs, then had to put down.

Serious question..

What exactly do you think the police could do about a greyhound killing a cat? The breed is notorious for doing this as they have been trained to chase little fury animals.. This happens all the time! How can the police help?

Sorry about your cat by the way blueberry :(

It's not legal for you to deliberately let your dogs onto someone else's property to kill a cat, at the very least this man in in contravention of the DDA as his dogs were dangerously out of control and the Animal Welfare Act for causing suffering to the cat.

Clearly if a dog attacks a cat by mistake that's one matter but deliberately setting your dogs on another person's pet is totally different. People have been jailed for this in the past, see HERE

This man should have the dogs taken away and be banned from keeping them for life at least, he doesn't deserve them, it gives other sighthound owners a bad name and frankly if he'll use them to attack a cat for his own sick pleasure in the middle of the street I shudder to think what he might be using them for at other times. He could well be one of those utterly revolting individuals who enjoys badger baiting.

I'd be surprised if they were greyhounds to be honest, people like this usually have bull lurchers (giving bull lurchers a bad name too :rant:)

---------- Post added 30-06-2016 at 11:02 ----------

I don't see anything about dogs killing cats..

Has anyone ever been prosecuted?

Deliberately using your dog to harm a cat is no different to causing suffering in other ways, e.g. by hitting or kicking the cat, YOU (not your dog) have caused harm to the cat.

I have been bitten 3 times by dogs. The first time when I was carrying a repaired television into a house . The owner just dragged it of and never said a word to me. The second was at a friend's house. I bent down to stroke it and it jumped up and bit me on the eyebrow. My friends mother just remarked, he didn't mean it. The third time I was talking to a neighbour when his dog bit my leg and ruined a nice pair of trousers He just said, Oh it's O'k it hasn't broken the skin. I said, well it's not O'k because it's ruined a nice pair of trousers. He just walked off. The point is that not one of these owners gave a fig, and I can't get rid of the feeling that reporting it to the police wouldn't have resulted in me getting compensation for new trousers.

Anyway what I would do is keep an eye out for this idiot owner.

It's not legal for you to deliberately let your dogs onto someone else's property to kill a cat, at the very least this man in in contravention of the DDA as his dogs were dangerously out of control and the Animal Welfare Act for causing suffering to the cat.

Clearly if a dog attacks a cat by mistake that's one matter but deliberately setting your dogs on another person's pet is totally different. People have been jailed for this in the past, see HERE

This man should have the dogs taken away and be banned from keeping them for life at least, he doesn't deserve them, it gives other sighthound owners a bad name and frankly if he'll use them to attack a cat for his own sick pleasure in the middle of the street I shudder to think what he might be using them for at other times. He could well be one of those utterly revolting individuals who enjoys badger baiting.

I'd be surprised if they were greyhounds to be honest, people like this usually have bull lurchers (giving bull lurchers a bad name too :rant:)

---------- Post added 30-06-2016 at 11:02 ----------

Deliberately using your dog to harm a cat is no different to causing suffering in other ways, e.g. by hitting or kicking the cat, YOU (not your dog) have caused harm to the cat.

Hmmm i'm not too sure.. Greyhounds are beautiful dogs a have lovely temperaments but they are known to chase and kill smaller animals..

Hmmm i'm not too sure.. Greyhounds are beautiful dogs a have lovely temperaments but they are known to chase and kill smaller animals..

My 2 rescue dogs are absolutely lovely to people, but they can be relied upon to chase small furrys including cats. It's up to the owner of the dog to see that they don't get hold of them.

<ranty-rant>
There's no suggestion in the OP that the dog owner let the dogs off to deliberately chase/maul the OP's cat on the OP's property.

He was careless in letting his dogs off (no or insufficient recall, by the sound of things), and appears clearly liable under the bit of legislation posted by Berberis, in terms summarised by Obelix.

But beyond that, it looks like it's just accidental/nature.

My dog is dangerous with cats (and anything else feathery/hairy/fluffy/scaly/etc. of whatever size), so he's practically never off the leash outside our house/garden, and muzzled if in a busy environment (town centre). Other dogs are scared of them. Still other dogs are just not bothered either way, and are walked unleashed/unmuzzled.

But if we're in the middle of fields or woods a long way away from habitations (300 yards+ minimum) and he's off the leash, and he finds and takes off after a cat (or whatever else), them's the apples. It's the breed, you can't ever train prey instinct completely out. If he gets mauled instead of the other way round, tough.

Edited by L00b

Yes of course but in the world of sick *%^&$*£( who like to set their dogs on other animals for fun, bull lurchers are far more common as they're more powerful, and many people at a glance can't tell the difference between greys and lurchers

Edited by vwkittie

I don't see anything about dogs killing cats..

Has anyone ever been prosecuted?

Sorry but did you even read the text I provided or read the link?

It's against the law to let a dog attack someone's animal. The law is not determined by how well a perpetrator can be prosecuted.

The Man with these dogs may also be guilty of Animal Cruelty laws as he left the cat and walked off.

My 2 rescue dogs are absolutely lovely to people, but they can be relied upon to chase small furrys including cats. It's up to the owner of the dog to see that they don't get hold of them.

My friend has one, she's absolutely gorgeous.. She's so chilled out and loves to play with kids etc but she's killed 3 cats in the last 18mths since my friend moved house.. All 3 cats came onto my friends garden so her dog wasnt out in public when it happened.. One of the neighbours who's cat was killed got very aggressive with my friend (my friend is really lovely and was genuinely upset about what her dog had done) anyway they phoned the police but apparently they said there was nothing they could do as it was on the dogs property..

Hence my genuine interest in what the police could do in this instance..

Deliberately using your dog to harm a cat .....
is that really what happened? - the emphasis being on deliberately using

Or was he just negligent in not keeping the dogs under control?

I wasn't there, but the difference is major - intent or negligence

let's not skew the story and make it something it might not be

BTW sympathies to the OP