Cat attacked..by dogs, then had to put down.

This sounds likely to me, the dogs will have been excited just off the lead, seen the cat and bam :(
Sounds exactly like that to me too.

I once saw our dog drop down a 10ft wall (vertical drop), then jump clear over a 5ft-high stone wall into the neighbour's garden, going after a cat he'd clocked a good 50+ yards away (the cat made it up the conifer in good time). He'd never "dared" to drop from that wall before that one time, and I never imagined that he ever would, so we'd never tethered him in the 'top garden' before. Must have been something particularly bad the cat said or taunted ;)

Same with a big solitary wild boar, that looked to be about 4 times his size. As soon as the dog clocked it, straight off at it like a rocket. I did sweat. A lot.

No prey stimulus and he's got decent enough recall, for a terrier. Put in a prey, and there's just zero recall there, just a dumb adrenalin- and rocket-powered house brick that ain't stopping for love or money a treat, never mind a heel command.

I have zero doubt that, in the same circumstances as the OP, he'd have done exactly the same as these two greyhounds. Though (a) mine wouldn't be off leash to begin with and (b) I'd have jumped in right away to pull the dog away/save the cat :(

To OP, hope you can find the strength to get over this and find a new feline friend to share your home soon :)

Edited by L00b

Just to add to make it clear I don't think it was deliberate, he was going to the fields which is two houses away from my house.

And I think he just let them off assuming they'd go to the field. I know it sounds daft because it was my cat that got attacked. But like a lot of dog owners when there approaching the field they let the g

Dog off the lead.

As I stated before I was away at work when all this happened

, but neighbours told me that he casually just walked up to the dogs and put on there leads and started to walk away.

And I lost the phone number cause it was on a little piece of paper and when I called them in the heat of the no I just lost it...