Can you trust Boris? - Now backed out.

Maybe Heseltine was on the money; we get a new PM, but Boris, who got us into this mess, is the one that goes to negotiate with Brussels.

Then we have a referendum to see if we like what he's got us. If not, stay in the EU as was.

---------- Post added 30-06-2016 at 13:49 ----------

He said he wouldn't stand for a start.

The EU seems to be sticking to its guns in that there's no prospect of negotiation until after the Article 50 is triggered.

Then, once Art 50 has been triggered, then there's no going back.

Therefore no point in the procdure where any negotiated deal can be put to the electorate,

So unless there is a big turnaround by the EU, this cannot happen.

I think I learned more about the book from reading the book that you did from reading what loud people said about it. It's not terribly long. Read it in a day. In case you don't remember, it's called "Celsius 7/7". Honestly, check it out.

I couldn't care less what you think he looks like. Nobody could mistake him for feeble when he speaks.

Just google "may sharia law".

---------- Post added 30-06-2016 at 14:27 ----------

You know you're not doing the general muslim world any favours by appeasing Islamists. Not unless you think they benefit from being ruled by brutal nutters.

Ah, so you think someone like William Dalrymple shouts louder than Melanie I Don't Believe in Gay Rights or Global Warming Philips huh? Interesting.

I'm not sure why you would think I appease anyone.

---------- Post added 30-06-2016 at 14:46 ----------

The EU seems to be sticking to its guns in that there's no prospect of negotiation until after the Article 50 is triggered.

Therefore no point in the procdure where any negotiated deal can be put to the electorate,

Yeah, it's a crying shame.

I don't believe for one second that that representatives of the UK and the EU governments are not discussing these things privately.

---------- Post added 30-06-2016 at 14:50 ----------

Ah, so you think somone like William Dalrymple shouts louder than Melanie I Don't Believe in Gay Rights or Global Warming Philips huh? Interesting.

I don't think that's what I said. I'm sure that there are noisy people from across the political spectrum using the existence of this book for self-promotion.

I'm not sure why you would think I appease anyone.

That's the central theme of the book. It's about what the western strategy should be in dealing with Islamists. It's basically a case against appeasing Islamists.

Do read it. We could trade. Do you have a book you've read to recommend with an opposing perspective? I'll order it from Amazon right now.

Edited by unbeliever

There is a conspiracy that Boris was never going to challenge for leadership and he will put his support behind Teresa May.

The reason being the Leave camp would like to see a Remain camper put in charge so that if it all goes wrong with the brexit deal then they can say it's been purposely sabbotaged and no one from the Leave camp has to take the fault :suspect:

Various people.

Take a look for example at John Redwood's site.

There was obviously no leave consensus on the best arrangements following a leave vote. The government could have prepared and presented an alternative plan, but they chose not to as the uncertainly improved their chances of getting a remain win.

Now if Gove wins the Conservative leadership, his plans (which I think you'll find look an awful lot like Redwood's) will take the lead.

Ok thanks for that- still all up in the air as many hypotheticals but as a blueprint it does sound workable.

However I am not a fan of Gove, he is a neoconservative and would rather he did not lead the Tory party.

There is a conspiracy that Boris was never going to challenge for leadership and he will put his support behind Teresa May.

The reason being the Leave camp would like to see a Remain camper put in charge so that if it all goes wrong with the brexit deal then they can say it's been purposely sabbotaged and no one from the Leave camp has to take the fault :suspect:

I think I've gone cross-eyed.

I don't believe for one second that that representatives of the UK and the EU governments are not discussing these things privately.

---------- Post added 30-06-2016 at 14:50 ----------

I don't think that's what I said. I'm sure that there are noisy people from across the political spectrum using the existence of this book for self-promotion.

That's the central theme of the book. It's about what the western strategy should be in ealing with Islamists. It's basically a case against appeasing Islamists.

Do read it. We could trade. Do you have a book you've read to recommend with an opposing perspective? I'll order it from Amazon right now.

His book is out of print and I'm rather old fashioned, I don't do Kindles.

Try The Trouble With Islam. The author was very vocal after the attack on the gay club last month.

Also, re May. This article doesn't seem to match your analysis. It was the first result when I googled May Sharia Law.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2016/may/26/theresa-may-launches-sharia-law-review

Just imagine if the Conservative Party took notice of Team Trotsky they would appoint a different leader from the one they will end up with, and a loser to boot. Sensibly they don't, so they won't.

On the other hand The Labour Party did. :hihi:

Edited by foxy lady

His book is out of print and I'm rather old fashioned, I don't do Kindles.

Try The Trouble With Islam. The author was very vocal after the attack on the gay club last month.

Also, re May. This article doesn't seem to match your analysis. It was the first result when I googled May Sharia Law.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2016/may/26/theresa-may-launches-sharia-law-review

Yes, I'm going to have to withdraw that comment on May. It seems I've been listening to people reading things between the lines that weren't necessarily there. My apologies.