Gove drops support for Boris and decides to stand!

It depends how much these odds are due to expectation of the result, and how much is due to betting patterns. If a lot of money has been placed on Gove, then his odds will shorten. Although as Gove has only just thrown his hat in the ring, it is more likely that it is the bookie's first guess until the market drives the odds one way ornthe other.

However, IMO, it is more likely that Paddy Power want to keep their name in the public eye and went in with short odds.

Okay thanks. I did think I was being naive just converting the odds to probabilities.

---------- Post added 30-06-2016 at 11:18 ----------

What percentage of the public will that be?

There's about 150,000 of them. I have no idea how they break down into Leave/Remain. Perhaps somebody else does.

Edit: Okay I found it. A strong majority for Leave: http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2016/02/conhome-survey-two-thirds-of-party-members-say-they-will-vote-to-leave-the-eu-but-theres-hope-for-remain.html

Simplistically that would imply that if theres one Remainer and one Brexiteer emerging from the parliamentary party voting, then you would expect the Brexiteer to get it.

Edited by unbeliever

Okay thanks. I did think I was being naive just converting the odds to probabilities.

---------- Post added 30-06-2016 at 11:18 ----------

There's about 150,000 of them. I have no idea how they break down into Leave/Remain. Perhaps somebody else does.

Edit: Okay I found it. A strong majority for Leave: http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2016/02/conhome-survey-two-thirds-of-party-members-say-they-will-vote-to-leave-the-eu-but-theres-hope-for-remain.html

Simplistically that would imply that if theres one Remainer and one Brexiteer emerging from the parliamentary party voting, then you would expect the Brexiteer to get it.

Good money to be made then,the odds are in favour of a remainer.

Good money to be made then,the odds are in favour of a remainer.

I think that's because with Boris, Fox and Gove, the leave field is more split. Once it's down to one of those, the odds will look a lot different.

Andy Bell

@andybell5news

Just watched Dominic Raab backing Michael Gove while reading his Sun article backing Boris #ToryLeadership

12:55 PM - 30 Jun 2016:D

Sounds right. Boris never had any meaningful support in the parliamentary party. Gove's endorsement was getting that for him. They'll switch en-masse to Gove now.