Gove drops support for Boris and decides to stand!

Not Boris, then. Jumped before being pushed to one side.

That simplifies things. He really didn't stand much of a chance. He was going to be Gove's proxy. Now Gove doesn't need one.

Let's see what the thieving scumbags bookies have to say now.

Thank heavens for that, as Boris would have probably handed the victory to May eventually.

Very relieved after his speech; 'London, London, London, London, London'.

:D

I suppose it could be argued that he was championing his achievments, and they were in London.

Boris was probably sidelined firstly by the leave vote which he wasn't expecting, and then by Cameron resigning, suddenly putting him in the firing line earlier than he expected, and left with the job of extracting the country from the EU.

I think it looks by being a May - Gove choice, and May will win. Unless Sarah Vine writes a few more emails.

I suppose it could be argued that he was championing his achievments, and they were in London.

Boris was probably sidelined firstly by the leave vote which he wasn't expecting, and then by Cameron resigning, suddenly putting him in the firing line earlier than he expected, and left with the job of extracting the country from the EU.

I think it looks by being a May - Gove choice, and May will win. Unless Sarah Vine writes a few more emails.

May will probably get more votes from the parliamentary party. The full party makes the final decision. What makes you think May will get more support there?

May probably would have stood up well against Boris in a full party vote. But against Gove?

That simplifies things. He really didn't stand much of a chance. He was going to be Gove's proxy. Now Gove doesn't need one.

Let's see what the thieving scumbags bookies have to say now.

Regardless of who becomes leader, I don't expect many bookies to have to sell their Rollers and sheepskin jackets to make ends meet.

Did Boris actually ever come out and say he will stand?

This seems to me like he is still saving his political career and letting someone else take any blame that may arise so he can step in after. That and Murdoch is not backing him.

He will back Gove now and then step up for a leadership bid at the next general election.

May will probably get more votes from the parliamentary party. The full party makes the final decision. What makes you think May will get more support there?

May probably would have stood up well against Boris in a full party vote. But against Gove?

I see May as being more centrist within the party, and better seen in terms of building bridges. Although, conversely, she hasn't shown much leadership recently, by keeping quiet.

Also, Gove is probably seen as being more of an electoral liability, because of lack of "screen appeal" and charisma. And also because of some right wing ideas which might be a bit too far to the right for the electorate at large, and may therefore put off some of the party faithful from voting for him. Although he clearly is an astute politician.

But who knows. Over the last few weeks, predictions and betting odds have stood for nothing.