Did Ansell's brewery have any pubs in Sheffield?

I recently purchased in Bakewell this Home Ales item,a water jug that can easily be turned into a beer jug. Lol. During the sealing of the £3 deal, I mentioned that I used to drink Home Ale in The White Hart in Eckington in the early 70s. The seller chuckled on hearing this, then went on to say that he used to drink Home Ales when he lived in Peterborough at a pub also called The White Hart. Lol.

He also sold to me this Teachers vessel forra £1.

A cuppla weeks ago I went to a record fair in Leeds. We got a bit lost looking for the social club we'd be selling at. Anyway, we were driving up Wellington Street,and I saw a pub on the right with large letters advertising Tetley. Etched in the glass of a side window was a motif of Melbourne Ales.. a blast from the past. Because we were in a rush we didn't get to see the name of the pub. Was Melbourne beer ever sold in Sheffield? I believe Melbourne beer was bought out by Tetley around 1960 time.

On 10/07/2019 at 22:36, zakes said:

I recently purchased in Bakewell this Home Ales item,a water jug that can easily be turned into a beer jug. Lol. During the sealing of the £3 deal, I mentioned that I used to drink Home Ale in The White Hart in Eckington in the early 70s. The seller chuckled on hearing this, then went on to say that he used to drink Home Ales when he lived in Peterborough at a pub also called The White Hart. Lol.

He also sold to me this Teachers vessel forra £1.

A cuppla weeks ago I went to a record fair in Leeds. We got a bit lost looking for the social club we'd be selling at. Anyway, we were driving up Wellington Street,and I saw a pub on the right with large letters advertising Tetley. Etched in the glass of a side window was a motif of Melbourne Ales.. a blast from the past. Because we were in a rush we didn't get to see the name of the pub. Was Melbourne beer ever sold in Sheffield? I believe Melbourne beer was bought out by Tetley around 1960 time.

You're correct about 1960 for the takeover...I've just been through a list from the Brewery History Society of 250 of their tied pubs, and Barnsley is the closest it gets.

However it is possible that the list is not absolutely  complete,  although my view is that it probably is correct in relation to Sheffield...Melbourne's could easily have got into the City's Free trade though.

Somewhere I have a nice bit of film of Melbourne's from the early 1950's. It was a piece made for the Brewery to show on its brewery tours.