Agressive man Sheffield City Centre

So you've got a job- most of the homeless didn't have that option, due to things like mental illness, autism etc.

Why not reflect on your good fortune, instead of picking on those who didn't get any?

Maybe consider as well, that many of the homeless are ex-service personnel who couldn't deal with modern society when they left the military.

If you could bring yourself to speak to them, you'd find many are decent people doing their best to cope with the miserable hand they've been dealt, who are unable to progress because of the prejudice and bigotry of those who've been a lot luckier, and, who make the error of attributing that good fortune to their own 'abilities'.

The reason they are addicted to alcohol, is, pure and simple- it's the only way of coping with the extreme cold they encounter when sleeping outdoors.

---------- Post added 04-07-2016 at 11:37 ----------

Anyone who wants to help the homeless without risking funding substance purchases, can offer to buy them some food instead.

No why should homeless people go around harassing people? It's not about luck it's about how you live so yes the majority of homeless people don't need to be homeless it's their choice and they do not want to help themselves I'm sick of walking through the town centre with my child and being harassed especially in cathedral area I am all for helping people who are in genuine need but never these drunk awful people who should be locked up as u say if they have mental problems they should be in an asylum better than flipping out and killing an innocent person.

Homelessness is not nice but a lot of them can help themselves but choose not to, no one should have to put up with being harassed when walking the town centre, begging is horrible

No why should homeless people go around harassing people? It's not about luck it's about how you live so yes the majority of homeless people don't need to be homeless it's their choice and they do not want to help themselves I'm sick of walking through the town centre with my child and being harassed especially in cathedral area I am all for helping people who are in genuine need but never these drunk awful people who should be locked up as u say if they have mental problems they should be in an asylum better than flipping out and killing an innocent person.

Homelessness is not nice but a lot of them can help themselves but choose not to, no one should have to put up with being harassed when walking the town centre, begging is horrible

It was found several decades ago that where the mentally ill are concerned 'locking them up in an asylum' was morally wrong and, harmfull to both the inmates and society in general.

You're clearly quite disturbed yourself. If you continue to have your shopping disrupted, can I suggest Meadowhall, there's no homeless people there, and, you'd probably find yourself amongst like-'minded' people? :)

So you've got a job- most of the homeless didn't have that option, due to things like mental illness, autism etc.

Why not reflect on your good fortune, instead of picking on those who didn't get any?

Maybe consider as well, that many of the homeless are ex-service personnel who couldn't deal with modern society when they left the military.

If you could bring yourself to speak to them, you'd find many are decent people doing their best to cope with the miserable hand they've been dealt, who are unable to progress because of the prejudice and bigotry of those who've been a lot luckier, and, who make the error of attributing that good fortune to their own 'abilities'.

The reason they are addicted to alcohol, is, pure and simple- it's the only way of coping with the extreme cold they encounter when sleeping outdoors.

Anyone who wants to help the homeless without risking funding substance purchases, can offer to buy them some food instead.

Ok how would you propose we deal with this particular individual who is causing problems for so many?

Ok how would you propose we deal with this particular individual who is causing problems for so many?

I wouldn't. My focus is on the real problem, which is that people like this, many of them ex-military, are left homeless and hopeless, with the only 'help' offered, being from services that many of the homeless can't actually access.

As previously mentioned, alcohol is the only way to cope with regular sleep in the cold, so most homeless also acquire alcohol addiction.

Then most of society, is unable/unwilling to face the actuality of it, and insist instead, on a tirade of bigotry/prejudice that the homeless are not victims, but willing choosers of their brutal lives.

No problem can be tackled, until it is acknowledged and faced up to.

Guest makapaka
I wouldn't. My focus is on the real problem, which is that people like this, many of them ex-military, are left homeless and hopeless, with the only 'help' offered, being from services that many of the homeless can't actually access.

As previously mentioned, alcohol is the only way to cope with regular sleep in the cold, so most homeless also acquire alcohol addiction.

Then most of society, is unable/unwilling to face the actuality of it, and insist instead, on a tirade of bigotry/prejudice that the homeless are not victims, but willing choosers of their brutal lives.

No problem can be tackled, until it is acknowledged and faced up to.

This is the most intelligent post on the subject so far - well done.

Nobody likes to see homelessness or be confronted by it - it's not nice. But pretending it's the persons fault is just a flawed defence mechanism people choose to use to make themselves feel better about it.

It's one thing not being in a position to do something about it, most people fall into that category - but there's no need to blame people who are clearly struggling in the modern world (of course like I all walks of life there will be good and bad).

I don't know anything about the guy highlighted by the op by the way - was speaking generally.

Being homeless is not a valid excuse to be aggressive and try to intimidate people, don't try and act all condescending while being an apologist for completely unacceptable behaviour.