Sheffield man Donald Stewart shot down by Richthofen

Hi all can anyone help? I have a book ''Under the guns of Richthofen '' by Norman Franks and Hal Giblin , that says a Sheffield man , Donald James Stewart , survived being shot down by Richthofen in WW1 . I have written to the author to ask for clarification but unfortunately the co-author that did the social research is now deceased . The gist of it is in my letter below :

Dear Mr Franks

I am writing to you concerning your book ‘ Under the Guns of Richthofen .’

One part that struck me was the reference to Donald James Stewart of Sheffield. The thing that then irked me , as an enthusiast , was that Donald lived round the corner from a friend I visited regularly in the 70’s and 80’s and I had missed an opportunity to possibly meet such a man. On rereading the book and now being a bit of a genealogist I wondered if I could trace family to possibly find a photograph of the gallant gentleman and perhaps something about his life post war. I did find he ( apparently ) stayed in the RAF and in 1929 rejoined his original 8th Yorks and Lancs Regt. as a Capt.

In the book you state that Donald Stewart died at home at 490 Firshill Crescent, Sheffield on 18/12/1981 . Unfortunately I can find no trace of a death for a Donald or James Stewart in that year anywhere in the UK…the closest I can find is for a 1970 Sheffield death for a James Stewart born on 18/12/1891 . Could I ask if the 1981 date could have been a typo error?

I know there’s been a lot of water under the bridge in the meantime but I just wondered if it was an error spotted post production or am I just on the wrong track ? Any dates articles or clues that could shed any light on the matter it would be most appreciated ''

Can anyone on the forum shed any light on this mystery at all ?

Hi all can anyone help? I have a book ''Under the guns of Richthofen '' by Norman Franks and Hal Giblin , that says a Sheffield man , Donald James Stewart , survived being shot down by Richthofen in WW1 . I have written to the author to ask for clarification but unfortunately the co-author that did the social research is now deceased . The gist of it is in my letter below :

Dear Mr Franks

I am writing to you concerning your book ‘ Under the Guns of Richthofen .’

One part that struck me was the reference to Donald James Stewart of Sheffield. The thing that then irked me , as an enthusiast , was that Donald lived round the corner from a friend I visited regularly in the 70’s and 80’s and I had missed an opportunity to possibly meet such a man. On rereading the book and now being a bit of a genealogist I wondered if I could trace family to possibly find a photograph of the gallant gentleman and perhaps something about his life post war. I did find he ( apparently ) stayed in the RAF and in 1929 rejoined his original 8th Yorks and Lancs Regt. as a Capt.

In the book you state that Donald Stewart died at home at 490 Firshill Crescent, Sheffield on 18/12/1981 . Unfortunately I can find no trace of a death for a Donald or James Stewart in that year anywhere in the UK…the closest I can find is for a 1970 Sheffield death for a James Stewart born on 18/12/1891 . Could I ask if the 1981 date could have been a typo error?

I know there’s been a lot of water under the bridge in the meantime but I just wondered if it was an error spotted post production or am I just on the wrong track ? Any dates articles or clues that could shed any light on the matter it would be most appreciated ''

Can anyone on the forum shed any light on this mystery at all ?

If you sit patiently, 'Hillsbro' will be along in a few minutes.

.The Donald James Stewart that died in 1981 Sheffield was born 1912. . The Electoral Registers for West Yorkshire place him in Pontefract 1920-1921 . His Medal Card lists his address via Pontefract Barracks . There is no mention in the Newspapers of the time as him being from Sheffield . It just lists Lt D J Stewart as missing

Hi all...I've found him as a POW , and in the 20's being promoted...in 1929 he resigns his RAF Commission and rejoins the 8th York and Lancs as a Capt. All I can find after that is a journey to India by an Army Officer of a similar name and a marriage ..any help would be most appreciated.

If you sit patiently, 'Hillsbro' will be along in a few minutes.
:P Well, I can't add much to this thread, but for what it's worth, a Donald J. Stewart turns up in 1970s Kelly's directories at 306 Barnsley Road, Sheffield, not far from Firshill Crescent. The 1939 Register doesn't show a Donald Stewart in Sheffield who would have been old enough, but there is a James Stewart at 77 Southey Hall Road. Oddly enough, this James Stewart's date of birth is given as 18 December 1892, then apparently corrected to 1890. To confuse matters further there is a Sheffield Cathedral baptism record of a James Stewart born on 10 December 1891, the son of Irvin and Annie Stewart. The 1939 Register shows a Donald J. Stewart in Wakefield, but he was born on 6 June 1914.

Thank you for your input guys...when I get chance I'll copy the full text in from the book...sadly Hal Giblin cannot reply..but I think he may have got it wrong ( but never say never etc !!) and to be fair I've been up many blind alleys when I was absolutely convinced I was on the right track .

The WW1 research suggest that 8th Yorks and Lancs is correct...POW and repatriation records seem to back that up .The London Gazette records suggest he stayed in the RAF until 1929 and then reverted back to his original Army unit . Which seems arguably conclusive !! A journey to India would be possible...the 8th were there in the 30's ( I understand ) which may preclude his inclusion in the 1939 register if they were still in India...in transit..or barracked elsewhere in the UK on their return . I'll try the Regimental museum in Clifton Park again and see if they have any clues . If anyone can think of anywhere we could look to further it , it would be most appreciated...if Hal was close it's a great Sheffield story..if not so close , a great Yorkshire story..and whatever , a great story on it's own merits that ought to be revealed .

Just a suggestion, as it may well be a site with which you are familiar, but I do some voluntary photo restoration work on HERE.

There are some quite knowledgeable folk on there who would be interested and may have other avenues that you could explore.

• 3 months later...

Hi all , thanks for your help, and just to let you know I've got to the bottom of it .

The book was wrong , as Lobster pointed out the Sheffield man dying in 1981 was born in 1912 , probate records show he lived at 490 Firshill Cres. I can only assume the co author assumed he was a Sheffield man due to the York and Lancs Regt connection .

Lobster also said ''the army officer sent to India was born 1898 in Colchester as his father was already a serving soldier , He married Grace Murray Bruce b 1900 in Suffolk 1922 ''

You are correct my friend..and he is the chap I was looking for . Donald's father was on the list of The Royal Military School of Music , his home barracks was Blackdown . He is listed as a York & Lancs Sgt. Major . His mother's sister also married a Y & L Sgt. Major from Barnsley . Interestingly (to me at least !!) Donald's Uncle was the acclaimed musician , author and artist James Hullah Brown .

Donald's wife was also an RAF recruit in WW1 , and it seems they travelled the world together on his military service after he rejoined the Y & L as a Capt. in 1929 . They had home addresses given as the Isle of Wight , Orford in Suffolk and lastly Hunstanton in Norfolk , Grace dying there in 1984 and Donald in 1992 .

Sadly I can find no Sheffield connection other than the Regt....but thanks for your help.