"Amerexit" - 240 years and still going strong

They're still welcome to rejoin the empire if they want.

True. See Harry Harrison's "A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah": http://www.bing.com/search?q=transatlantic%20tunnel%20hurrah&pc=cosp&ptag=C1A005A2B4283&form=CONBDF&conlogo=CT3210127

---------- Post added 05-07-2016 at 17:02 ----------

Apparently it's illegal for any states to break away?

There's no legal provision for them to do so.

A bunch of them tried in 1861. They were reintegrated into the union by force.

Yes- "States' Right". Remind you of Mr Juncker's unhappiness about another departure now pending?

Apparently it's illegal for any states to break away?
We had a civil war about it 1862 to 1865. You might have read about it somewhere.:) If I wasn't glad I came 47 years ago, I sure am now.

There's no legal provision for them to do so.

A bunch of them tried in 1861. They were reintegrated into the union by force.

it's not mentioned at all, in the constitution I believe. It wouldn't have been very 'free', would if it - if they had said in 1776 once we join together we have to stay together, for millenia in the future if necessary, and that's it. All of us have to stay in this union, we have no choice, and none of us can leave it, whatever happens.

I don't think that there was even any mention of what to do about any new states in the original 1776 constitution either. It was all about the 13 colonies becoming the 13 states. It wasn't about anywhere else, like Kentucky or Ohio.

of course some states that didn't want to join the secceeding states and break away from the Union (the first state to leave was in 1860, not 1861) took a very dim view of those that did. They claimed it was illegal but was it really?

in the Confederacy, Texas had a kind of special status that went beyond it being easily the largest in area. It had been a totally independent country only 15 years before and Texas's status as an independent country lasted longer than it did as one of the states of the Confederacy.

modern US sessessionary movements are a bit of a joke but Texas is #1. #2 is California. #3 is Alaska who are even more dependent when it comes to making a go of it on the oil price than the Scots are.

Oh my gosh Phan, I've just seen this! It's more than a bit late, but thank you for wishing us all a happy 4th. You're so nice, you always remember. :)

We spent the day with my sister in law and various relatives. She lives out in the country and has new neighbors who just luuurrrve fireworks. After dark, it sounded like a mortar attack. :confused:

But it was impressive. :clap::thumbsup:

Most Americans are very fond of England and consider it the "mother country", I know I do.

I apologize again for not noticing this sooner, but we have a wedding in the family coming up (this weekend!). It's three states and one time zone away and we have all been beyond busy.

Most Americans are very fond of England and consider it the "mother country".

not so many Americans actually have British ancestry though. It's not an exact science but it's maybe only about 20%.

Australia is much much more. More like 70%.

Now we're out of the EU, maybe we should be auditioning for 51st state - we're part way there already, just a few formalities to figure out.

Might want to see who wins the presidential election before making any promises.

To be fair, they have been treating us like we were for ages

not so many Americans actually have British ancestry though. It's not an exact science but it's maybe only about 20%.

Australia is much much more. More like 70%.

'Not so many' or quite a lot, seems to be some uncertainty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Americans

I would imagine quite a few with British ancestry fought the British for Independence.

Oh my gosh Phan, I've just seen this! It's more than a bit late, but thank you for wishing us all a happy 4th. You're so nice, you always remember. :)

Hey Sierra! :wave:

Forgive my annual 'fishing for compliments' expedition :D

Glad I hooked ya though, and really pleased you had a good one with all the explosive trimmings.

Best wishes to the betrothed from the whole of the UK. :D