EU Referendum, would you change your vote?

Would you change your vote in the 2016 EU referendum?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Would you change your vote in the 2016 EU referendum?

• Yes: Change from Leave to Remain.
    • Yes: Change from Remain to Leave.
    • No: I voted to Leave and I'm happy with my decision.
    • No: I voted to Remain and I'm happy with my decision.
    • N/A: I didn't vote.

Don't forget, this is also a forum of stubborn people who don't back down or admit they're wrong. That will also skew the figures!

This has been my finding when talking to people about why they voted to leave. None as yet have been able to give a thought out reason other than regurgitating the headline soundbites from Farage, Boris etc.

It seems people think that if they refuse to accept anyone elses position/evidence they are still in this magical place where they could still be correct, even when irrefutable evidence has been presented to counter their argument.

---------- Post added 05-07-2016 at 11:02 ----------

I generally agree with you about Brexit, but as a matter of fact the pound is nowhere near its all time low against the dollar - yet, that is. The all time low was $1.04 in the 1980s (the last-but-two time that the Tories stuffed up the economy, plus the dollar was independently strong at that time). As I write, it's $1.31, which is still about 11% down on June 23rd, or 17% down on its 52-week high. It's doing even worse against some other currencies.

I suspect it depends on what you consider to be an all time. It's currently at a 10 year low going further back it's hard to compare as the economics of the world were very different, but I take your comment.

The British Pound is certainly at a 10 year low and I assume much further back than that considering exactly 10 years ago it was $1.85 to the £. Te lowest the £ has been in the last 10 years before Brexit was $1.36 to the £ back in 2008/2009 (the last time Labour stuffed up the economy).

http://moneyweek.com/prices-news-charts/gbpusd/

Edited by Berberis

31 year low apparently.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/07/05/ftse-100-falters-and-pound-plunges-back-towards-31-year-lows-as/

Sterling plunges to new 31-year low

FTSE 100 falters for second straight session

Investors eye Bank of England financial stability report

European bourses turn negative as Brexit jitters return

UK services sector slows to three-year low in June

Bank of England to slash interest rates by the end of next week, economists predict

Well done leave voters.

Oh, and that's from a pro leave paper!

So how much should we charge the EU for free access to the UK market?

I doubt anyone would pay anything for it. The UK market is massively over dependent on borrowing to fund spending, rather than creating money to spend by making and selling things. That is not sustainable because either individuals and companies will reach their credit limits and the market will dry up, or the economy will be overloaded with debt and defaults will lead to another credit crunch. No-one's going to pay to access that.

Well the Leave campaign has reneged on their pledge to give the £350 million to the NHS already.

sigh ! sigh! nobody ever said that or pledged it, read the ad again listen to what was said, it was only ever , "should?, could?" it was a suggestion:roll:

I doubt anyone would pay anything for it. The UK market is massively over dependent on borrowing to fund spending, rather than creating money to spend by making and selling things. That is not sustainable because either individuals and companies will reach their credit limits and the market will dry up, or the economy will be overloaded with debt and defaults will lead to another credit crunch. No-one's going to pay to access that.
An issue that has slowly and irremediably metastasised as the UK's current account situation, and which is now waiting just around the corner to bite the UK's brexiting a55. It'll draw blood. Rivers of it.

So how much should we charge the EU for free access to the UK market?

It's all about relative size isn't it, so...

The economy of the European Union generates a GDP (nominal) of about €14.3 trillion (US$18.5 trillion in 2014) and a GDP (PPP) of about €12.7 trillion (US$16.8 trillion in 2014) according to the International Monetary Fund.

(That's with us included of course).

GDP $2.849 trillion (nominal; 2015)[1]

$2.679 trillion (PPP; 2015)[1]

So... even after we take our 3 trillion away from the 18.5 trillion of the EU. 15.5 is still a much bigger number.

So nothing. They'll pay nothing to access our market, they will expect full, free access and a payment from us, if we wish to access their market.

As was always obvious.

---------- Post added 05-07-2016 at 11:44 ----------

sigh ! sigh! nobody ever said that or pledged it, read the ad again listen to what was said, it was only ever , "should?, could?" it was a suggestion:roll:

Sure. Apart from the posters that said it.

Tell us, is there any promise from the leave campaign that hasn't been reneged on yet? :suspect:

I don't see any reports of the opposite, so the only conclusion to me made is that there are a number of people who did vote Leave and would change their vote to Remain if they could.

Let me get this right, you believe what the media tells you, unless they tell you any different?

Is this a fundamental principle of your belief system, or just when it suits you as it supports what you want to believe?

sigh. ignorance is no defence :roll:

"Lets give our NHS the £350 Million the EU takes every week"

http://news.images.itv.com/image/file/1019912/stream_img.jpg

---------- Post added 05-07-2016 at 12:08 ----------

Let me get this right, you believe what the media tells you, unless they tell you any different?

Is this a fundamental principle of your belief system, or just when it suits you as it supports what you want to believe?

Youre going over the top a bit here. The media does present information on many sides of an argument and is regulated. Unlike public forums where anyone can claim anything.

I get my information from a mirade of sources on all sides of an argument. Sometimes (and you should learn this) silence speaks more than a thousand words, especially from certain members of political classes.

Can you supply alternative sources of information that is not in the "media"?

---------- Post added 05-07-2016 at 12:10 ----------

I generally agree with you about Brexit, but as a matter of fact the pound is nowhere near its all time low against the dollar - yet, that is. The all time low was $1.04 in the 1980s (the last-but-two time that the Tories stuffed up the economy, plus the dollar was independently strong at that time). As I write, it's $1.31, which is still about 11% down on June 23rd, or 17% down on its 52-week high. It's doing even worse against some other currencies.

I would like to point out, that BBC Radio 4 has just reported the British £ is at a 31 year low against the US $. I can only see the last 10 years on the sites I can find so I am unable to check this reported figure.