DVLA Visual Field Tests

Why do you say "apart from Specsavers"?

Most good opticians should have a test unit.

-------------------------------------------

I was hoping another optician may do this particular test.

The test that i require is binocular ESTERMAN VISUAL FIELD Group 1 (for a normal car license), SINGLE INTENSITY.

Boots dont do the above mentioned eye test. As far as im aware only specsavers do it.

I dont mind doing it again at specsavers but their service has not been great. The person who takes me to do the test doesnt have a clue what they are doing and keep asking for assistance and this makes me feel very uncomfortable and uneasy about the test. Also they treat this as just a normal eye test disregarding how important this test is to me. They do not make me feel reassured and comfortable and just was to rush things along.

If only there was someone who knows how this test is done and what to do like last year the person who took me to visual field test room suggested regular blinking to help avoid your eyes becoming tired.

This was very helpful advice and i was successful in the test and my licence was renewed for 1 year. My Licence has been renewed once a year for the last 3 years' It is only this year i failed the test.

The test usually takes 5-10 minutes depending on how responsive you are.

I truly believe my eysesight is more or less same as the last year.

The first part of the test is the snellen chart which is pretty straightforward.

The second part is the more tricky part which is the visual field test i mentioned above.

I have driven on motorways and have driven to many parts of the uk such as birmingham and manchester etc I have driven is all weather conditions.

Regardless of some negative comments, im determined to get my licence back.

What i am going through, i would NOT want anyone to go through it. It's horrible and frustrating.

I have a lazy eye, and I have been told that its a minor thing and does not affect my driving.

A friend at work has just had a cataract operation go wrong, not sure what the outcome will be. Can a person drive with sight in only one eye?

I think you can. Katie Piper (who lost sight in one eye following the acid attack) still drives, although it may be not be total sight loss, I know she had stem cell treatment on the affected eye.

My instructor on my CBT told us he is blind in one eye following an accident.

Edit - yes you can:

https://www.gov.uk/monocular-vision-and-driving

---------- Post added 08-07-2016 at 12:22 ----------

-------------------------------------------

I truly believe my eysesight is more or less same as the last year.

Regardless of some negative comments, im determined to get my licence back.

If you eyesight has deteriorated slowly, you may not have noticed the change.

I can understand your frustration, it is difficult losing your independence. I don't drive myself at the moment (for financial not medical reasons), but you have to think of yourself and others' safety when you are in control of a ton of metal.

Nstar, I can imagine how distressing this is, especially with your good driving record.

For the sight test, give Bird Opticians a call. I don't know if they do exactly the test you need, but they are well trained and helpful, and they do field tests with kit that looks exactly like the machine they have at SpecSavers. http://www.jcbird.co.uk/contactus.html

For advice on dealing with DVLA, try calling the Royal National Institute for the Blind. They advocate for people with vision loss and are likely to have more experience in this area. I know you're not blind, but it's worth a try.

Will you let us know how you get on?

Nstar, I can imagine how distressing this is, especially with your good driving record.

For the sight test, give Bird Opticians a call. I don't know if they do exactly the test you need, but they are well trained and helpful, and they do field tests with kit that looks exactly like the machine they have at SpecSavers. http://www.jcbird.co.uk/contactus.html

For advice on dealing with DVLA, try calling the Royal National Institute for the Blind. They advocate for people with vision loss and are likely to have more experience in this area. I know you're not blind, but it's worth a try.

Will you let us know how you get on?

Another vote for Bird opticians on Surrey street. They do a quality test which takes a while, more like 20-30 minutes. They're not the cheapest but the quality and service they deliver is second to none. I think I've been a customer for over 15 years now. I've not got ophthalmic qualifications but did have a part time job in an old school opticians when I was doing my a levels. He always used to take his time and recheck. Birds are similar.

Thanks for the advice on Birds Opticians - I will give them a ring.

I spoke to DVLA - They said because im paying for my own re-test - i can do it with any opticians providing it is the required DVLA Visual Test (aka - Binocular Esterman Visual Field Test for Group 1 Car Licence, Single Instensity)

Normal Eye tests is - Monecular which basically tests right eye, then left eye separately.

Binocular means testing both eyes together even if you wear glasses.