The Eagle Has Landed.

Once upon a time there was a Conservative Prime Minister who offered a referendum on EU membership, never expecting he was sowing the seeds for the possible destruction of the UK.

Once upon a time an ex Mayor of London recommended voting for us to leave the EU as part of his plan to become PM of a UK that was still within the EU, never expecting...

We seem to be living through a time riddled with misjudgements.

---------- Post added 15-07-2016 at 07:39 ----------

Core voters don't deliver election victories. Parties need swing voters.

But of course there is a major difference in our two stories. Corbyn is the one that the electorate won't vote for, Brexit was the one where the majority did. And far from the destruction of the UK our stock markets seem to be doing rather better than those in the EU, and our unemployment rate rather lower than theirs..

If we had just voted in a Labour Government with Corbyn as Prime Minister then I'd have to reassess that opinion. But as we haven't and won't I'm pretty happy with both results.

Once upon a time there was a Coalition Government who promised a referendum on EU membership. The people liked the idea and voted in a Conservative Government to carry out the pledge of a referendum. The people clearly liked the idea of getting out of the EU and took their opportunity to vote leave. They seem happy with their decision as the Government have increased their lead in the opinion polls and the opposition are in dissaray.

Edited by foxy lady

The Eagle has crash landed. She has just withdrawn from leadership contest.

That went well for her didn't it?

that was the plan. they only want one name besides Corbyn on the ballot.

she took one for the team.

that was the plan. they only want one name besides Corbyn on the ballot.

she took one for the team.

It's clear that this was the intention, although I don't think it makes much sense.

In the event that the membership simply vote either FOR Corbyn or AGAINST Corbyn, then it wouldn't matter if both challengers stood. One would get kicked out in the first round, and then their second votes would go to the other challenger, and it would all come down to whether pro or anti Corbyn could achieve the 50% +1 vote required.

However, if it were more complicated than that, and not all second votes for both of the challangers would automatically go to the other challenger, and some would go to to Corbyn, then it would matter which challenger was more likely to defeat Corbyn. But there's no way of knowing which, if either, of the challengers would be more popular with the rank and file members who make the final choice. I would expect that they would have a better chance of finding a winner to beat Corbyn if they left it to the members.

Lol.

I listened to dead ringers on radio 4 last week and there was ongoing joke on how she couldn't properly launch her leadership campaign. Seems a bit funnier now ;)

I notice Yvette Cooper was sitting immediately to Owen Smith's right at that newscall. She's in this up to her neck imo. Corbyn wiped the floor with her last year and that will not have gone down well with Mrs Balls.

Felt sorry for Eagle, she was obviously upset at the way it's turned out.

Anyone see this Owen Smith quote, made when the contest was still on? Bear in mind he was running against a gay woman.

"I’m glad you think I’m normal. I am normal. I grew up in a normal household. I’ve got a wife and three children. My wife is a primary school teacher".

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/i-m-normal-i-have-a-wife-and-children-says-labour-challenger-owen-smith-a3298381.html

I notice Yvette Cooper was sitting immediately to Owen Smith's right at that newscall. She's in this up to her neck imo. Corbyn wiped the floor with her last year and that will not have gone down well with Mrs Balls.

Anyone see this Owen Smith quote, made when the contest was still on? Bear in mind he was running against a gay woman.

"I’m glad you think I’m normal. I am normal. I grew up in a normal household. I’ve got a wife and three children. My wife is a primary school teacher".

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/i-m-normal-i-have-a-wife-and-children-says-labour-challenger-owen-smith-a3298381.html

saw it, face palmed, they guy is trying to out Leadsom Leadsom.

I can't see anything wrong with being normal. I didn't know Angela Eagle was gay and I think people look for controversy when there isn't any.

I suspect it worked out just as planned. She landed the sucker punch that some seem to have missed. I think the senario from here goes something like this.

There is a ballot in which Corbyn wins.

This still leaves 170 odd Labour MPs with a leader in who they expressed no confidence.

The party splits and forms a new party.

As sitting MPs in Corbyn's Labour work out that they are on the deselection list they jump ship and a new Democratic Labour Party is formed.

They have more MPs than Corbyn 1960's Labour and thus become the opposition.

Indeed the SNP has more MPs than Corbyn 1960's Labour who get relegated to 4th in the pecking order.