Parkwood springs

katrina

RETEP how did you know about the track bikes I used to make?I used to buy bike parts for pennies from the scrapyard behind Hillfoot WMC .My Dad had a workshop at the other end of our cottage where I would make up all kind of bikes. I would paint them up like new;ride em till I tired of them then sell em at school.We had no spare cash in those days;I even made a tandem once but track bikes were my favourites.We used to ride down the quarry sides Parkwood;got knocked out ;somersaulting once backwards;mad or what?.

Cuttsie have you read Fred Pass;s book Weres Me Mam ?.The bit about Hillfoot was spot on I knew everone in it;Fred was a year older than us ;there is a photo of him and Tony Chapman in it have a look at their footwear.It brings back memories of my sore chapped shins in those days we were **** poor we wore wellys all year round.You gradually turned them down as it got warmer leaving sore red weals on your shins.I can feel them now.Ouch.

Me to, one July i cut the toes out of my wellies my old ma went daft.

Tizer bottle recycling= As young misguided towrags we came up with a wheeze to generate much needed cash.There was a shop in the Springs sold Tizer[ no names] there was a 3pence refund on the bottles.Anyhow we knew the emptys were stored out side at the rear of the shop.The problem was a steep wall ;so we lowered the smallest urchin down whom passed up the same.Next we took it in turns to take them back for the refund;when we had enough for fish and chips;so doing our bit for recycling we quit.I havent slept since.

Tizer bottle recycling= As young misguided towrags we came up with a wheeze to generate much needed cash.There was a shop in the Springs sold Tizer[ no names] there was a 3pence refund on the bottles.Anyhow we knew the emptys were stored out side at the rear of the shop.The problem was a steep wall ;so we lowered the smallest urchin down whom passed up the same.Next we took it in turns to take them back for the refund;when we had enough for fish and chips;so doing our bit for recycling we quit.I havent slept since.

Brillaint story tup, we all used to do it how the land lords in Sheffield never caught on i will never know.

RETEP how did you know about the track bikes I used to make?I used to buy bike parts for pennies from the scrapyard behind Hillfoot WMC .My Dad had a workshop at the other end of our cottage where I would make up all kind of bikes. I would paint them up like new;ride em till I tired of them then sell em at school.We had no spare cash in those days;I even made a tandem once but track bikes were my favourites.We used to ride down the quarry sides Parkwood;got knocked out ;somersaulting once backwards;mad or what?.

Who wrote that poem on the big rock in the quarry is what I want to know.

• 1 month later...

Was your cottage ever a mill house, map shows a cut in the Don leading past it.

No Retep it was a good way from the river it was on the bend at the bottom of Liversey Street just at the side of where the new Sheffield College is now.It was two cottages which my father knocked into one.Our old boy was a Brummie who came to Sheffield to build the cooling towers at the power station;he lodged at the cottage with an old couple named Hollis;some relation to the funeral family.He marrield my mother who moved in too;then I came along I called old Hollis Grandad ;he was a horrible old sod nice to me in front of my parents but a right old illigitimate when they were out of sight.Iremember him locking me in a cupboard once;another time he took me in the pony and trap to the old Admiral Rodney,there was a blacksmiths there and the pony needed shoeing.Afterwards old Hollis had a skinfull in the pub;he was well oiled going home;at the bottom of Bradfield Rd.at the top of Liversy St.he pulled up he asked if it was clear my side I told him no that a tram was comming at that he whipped the pony and ran it straight into the tram.The pony broke a leg the police came took it into the steelyard opposite and shot it.My dad had to manhandle the trap back home;he gave Hollis a mega bollicking the drunken old sod.

No Retep it was a good way from the river it was on the bend at the bottom of Liversey Street just at the side of where the new Sheffield College is now.It was two cottages which my father knocked into one.Our old boy was a Brummie who came to Sheffield to build the cooling towers at the power station;he lodged at the cottage with an old couple named Hollis;some relation to the funeral family.He marrield my mother who moved in too;then I came along I called old Hollis Grandad ;he was a horrible old sod nice to me in front of my parents but a right old illigitimate when they were out of sight.Iremember him locking me in a cupboard once;another time he took me in the pony and trap to the old Admiral Rodney,there was a blacksmiths there and the pony needed shoeing.Afterwards old Hollis had a skinfull in the pub;he was well oiled going home;at the bottom of Bradfield Rd.at the top of Liversy St.he pulled up he asked if it was clear my side I told him no that a tram was comming at that he whipped the pony and ran it straight into the tram.The pony broke a leg the police came took it into the steelyard opposite and shot it.My dad had to manhandle the trap back home;he gave Hollis a mega bollicking the drunken old sod.

Have shortcutted past your cottage loads of times as a kid, map was before the power station, as seen here,

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h182/sretep/oldtupcottage.jpg