Parkwood springs

katrina

I remember going round the back to Bakers shop (was only little so can be excused for being served first!), the play ground, castle house, the ponies that were kept up there once many of the houses were demolished. Even now I get a quiver when we drive past the bridge which was the entrance to such a fab place!

I lived on Pickering Road between 61 and 64.

I lived at 1/1 back of 33 Pickering Road - my surname was Heeley. I went to Sunday School at the Methodist Church at the bottom of the Pickering/corner of Wallace Road. In fact my cousin was the last person to get married there before the church closed.

My auntie, uncle and cousin lived at the top of Pickering Road, No 100 - names of Nellie, George and Maureen Sargent.

The people I remember from that time are: Anita D'Bachua, Evelyn Astill, Linda France, Carol Wakelin, Eric Boocock, John Bryer, Pauline Matthews, David Christian.

I new all these people, went to school with them, Hillfoot and then Chaucer.

I lived on Wallace Road No 143 (David Loxley)

Ive studied the map Retep the cottage is nearest to the water the building near the road was the barn the other was the pig styes.The strip of water near the buildings must have been filled in what year was the map,One other thing I remember was there was no road when I was an infant only a dirt track;in the winter it used to be under water in places.I rememember one of the Gratton girls having to be carried through it.You can see the chapel and house at Wardsend Cemetery on the map.Whats Whitey up to?.

Found this,

TO BE LET,

From Year to Year, or for a term of Years, and may be entered upon on the 25th of March next, the SHEET ROLLING MILL called the OWLERTON ROLLING MILL, now in the occupation of Mr. Henry Armitage, with large Dam, Wier, Goight, &c.

The Works comprise two Water Wheels, Rollers, Furnaces, and all the Machinery requisite for the Rolling of Sheet Steel, for the Sheffield trade.

Also SMITHS SHOP, WAREHOUSE, and Three-stalled Stable, Three COTTAGE HOUSES, and six gardens.

The Mill is situate on the River Don, within two miles of the Town of Sheffield, with the advantage of an excellent level Road, and is well supplied with Water, and possesses facilities for carrying on a very extensive Trade,

For Rent and Particulars, apply to Mr. Fowler, Land Agent, Bank Street

February 8th 1844.

Edited by retep

Nice one Retep it sounds like it was something to see in those days our old cottage was the only one left,I remember the barn we looked after a big cart horse for the hammer mill at the top of Liversey St.It used to pull the steel around the works all day,we also had a pony too until old Hollis ran it into a tram and got it shot.TUP.Has Whitey been telling any more tales,he,s like the Sheffield Telegraoh!

Nice one Retep it sounds like it was something to see in those days our old cottage was the only one left,I remember the barn we looked after a big cart horse for the hammer mill at the top of Liversey St.It used to pull the steel around the works all day,we also had a pony too until old Hollis ran it into a tram and got it shot.TUP.Has Whitey been telling any more tales,he,s like the Sheffield Telegraoh!

There was also a young lad turned up at the mill he and his mate were drowned at Leppings, and his body had floated into the mill shuttle, will type it up and put it on at some time.

Whitey was here yesterday.

hi,

i lived at parkwood springs from 1964 to 1973 on mount road. my parents were the muscrofts. was looking for people who lived in that area in between them dates. any pics would be brill.... thanks.

my grandparents lived on mount road they were called hinchliffe:)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

My mum and dads familes lived on Parkwood Springs. I was christened in the methodist church and my Nan lived in the big house at the end of Pickering road.

Familes names were the White (Dad) and DeAbaitua (Mum is Anita), Whites have the demolition firm A.White (Aaron White was my great grandad). My Mums first house was on Vale Road im 40 now so only have faint memories, one being at the Park at the top of Parkwood Springs. Mum's family were all called Taylors.