Parkwood springs

katrina

Just for all the Packwood springer out there my father who stood by my side through all my long and hard swimming training session for Yorkshire and England Alan Hinchliffe has been given less than six months to live he as cancer and is in the northern general hospital Macmillan unit someone not long ago from near Farnborough said to me don’t bother me I have a lot on my plate well Claire I have a lot on my plate and I’m going to stand by my father’s side until the end.

Just for all the Packwood springer out there my father who stood by my side through all my long and hard swimming training session for Yorkshire and England Alan Hinchliffe has been given less than six months to live he as cancer and is in the northern general hospital Macmillan unit someone not long ago from near Farnborough said to me don’t bother me I have a lot on my plate well Claire I have a lot on my plate and I’m going to stand by my father’s side until the end.
I am so sorry to hear this me and Alan were in the Triumph owners club in the early sixties and he was a close friend of the late Gary Slingsby,please give him my best wishes and I have not forgot him.Mel

Will do He is still here for now just going to enjoy possibly our last Christmas together as a family but make you appreciate how precious life is and how it’s never too late to build bridges with someone and make the most of the time you have together.

Very sad news Alan was always friendly and cheerful.

• 4 weeks later...

Slade's film Flame has a sequence (at 52m52s) looking down Douglas Road to Neepsend.

Can anyone tell me if the sequence at 29m53s, with similar housing and hillside position, is also Parkwood Springs?

I believe the film was made in 1974 and most of the housing is boarded up and ready for demolition.

Hugh

Slade's film Flame has a sequence (at 52m52s) looking down Douglas Road to Neepsend.

Can anyone tell me if the sequence at 29m53s, with similar housing and hillside position, is also Parkwood Springs?

I believe the film was made in 1974 and most of the housing is boarded up and ready for demolition.

Hugh

Yes they are both Douglas Road, think the letter box he's looking through could be 205

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi

it is so good to find this forum

I still have nightmares about the demise of Parkwood Spring

My grandparents ran the chip shop from after the war until its compulsory purchase. I remember seeing their brand new fryers lying in the road when we drove past a few months after they moved out. Their names were Minnie and Harry Turner.

As a little girl I had frequent visits and spend frequent overnights. I remember The shop ran by Mrs Fox and Mrs Fletcher who helped my Grandma with the cleaning. I used to sell Ben Shaws at the back door. Does anyone remember two little girls who used to try and surprise Mrs Turner and jump out behind the chip shop counter?

My grandparents had an amazing firework display for all their customers ever year. I remember treacle toffee, fireworks and an amazing 'Guy'. Masses of people would crush into their back garden to watch the fireworks. it was a very exciting thing for me as a little girl.

I remember the horrible way the relocation of the community happened. My grandparents were very upset about it. I remember my grandmother crying when she came back from visiting an elderly lady relocated in a high rise flat, isolated from the people in Parkwood Springs who loved and cared for her

I have been living in South Africa since 1971 . I still dream about Parkwood Springs and the times I spent with my grandparents in the chip shop. As a child I felt really lucky to get my grandma's fish,chips and mushy peas for free :)

Would love to hear from anyone who remembers

Julie

---------- Post added 19-04-2014 at 01:23 ----------

I remember walking up Vale Rd to my Grandparents (Turner) chip shop at the top of Vale Rd. The chip shop was a corner house right at he top of the road. What a long walk up the hill, but close to the top I would smell the fish & chips and start to feel very hungry. I would sneak into the shop with my sister thinking my Grandma hadn't seen us and then hide behind the counter. My Grandma would lean over the counter and ask "who is next?". When we jumped up behind the counter to surprise her she would act as though she hadn't seen us. The customers waiting would always let us in and seemed to enjoy the fun. I realize now that my Grandma must have spotted us from the moment we walked in the door, but she did a good job of pretending she was surprised.

Julie

Edited by JulieP24
Spelling