Parkwood springs

katrina

No the chip shop was at the top of Vale.

The area you have ringed was terraced housing and a grocery shop on the corner. Here are the residents.

Vale Road 1948

(Douglas Road)

page 2

2 THOMPSON WALTER, GREENGROCER*

8 SAYLES CYRIL, VARNISH MAKER*

10 ALDRED KENNETH, PAINTER & DECORATOR*

12 BARNETT BERNARD*

16 FISHER STANLEY,(J) SILVERSMITH*

18 MADDEN MRS FLORENCE*

22 HALE WILLIE, ENGINE DRIVER*

24 BRIDGSTOCK WILLIAM ARTHUR, SILVER FINISHER*

30 LOOSEMORE MRS ALICE*

32 MARRISON JAMES WHITTAKER,CLERK*

34 THOPSON GEORGE*

36 MARRISON JAMES WHITTAKER JNR,STEEL WORKER*

40 BLACKWELL MRS LILY*

42 BAGNALL MRS NELLIE*

44 ATKIN WILLIAM HENRY,LORRY DRIVER*

48 JOHNSON EDRIC HOOTEN,ENGINE DRIVER*

50 PARKIN ERNEST (J) BRICKLAYER*

58 FOSTER HAROLD*

62 McDERMOTT JOHN WILLIAM EDWIN*

64 NAYLOR REV.H. H PRIEST IN CHARGE ST MICHAEL&ALL ANGELS*

66 GILBERT FRANK, ENGINE DRIVER*

68 CARRIGAN DANIEL, STEEL EXAMINER*

70 SENDOLL ARTHUR, LABOURER*

76 JOHNSON JAMES*

78 CLAYTON MRS DORIS MARION*

90 BURGIN HARRY, GOODS LOADER*

92 WOOD WILLIAM*

94 LOWE ARTHUR*

96 KEMSHALL ARTHUR,(J) BUTCHER*

98 HARLEY ERNEST V, MOTOR DRIVER*

100 KELLY MRS ANNIE GERTRUDE*

102 THORNTON LUTHER,GRINDER*

104 MYERS JOSEPH*

106 TURNER HARRY, FRIED FISH DEALER*

(MOUNT ROAD)***

Good memory there RETEP i wondered if you ever knew my auntie and uncle who lived at Parkwood Springs Annie and Cyril Walker they used to live on Douglas Road if my memory serves me right, then after my uncle passed away my auntie Annie moved to Vale Road .

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

:help: I've just been set the brief for my latest Architecture Assignment at Uni and the site is Vale Road - just below the carpark to the Ski Village, Parkwood Springs.

I'm currently doing Site investigation and i was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the history of the area?

Either from personal knowledge or a point in the direction of any good resources on the area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Luke[/quote My aunt had the fish and chip shop top of vale rd corner of mount rd inthe 30 tes ,large garden at the back they kept chickens and pigs , there used to be kids swings just above mount rd where i spent many an hour, i remember a family called Smith on mount rd

Hi,

:help: I've just been set the brief for my latest Architecture Assignment at Uni and the site is Vale Road - just below the carpark to the Ski Village, Parkwood Springs.

I'm currently doing Site investigation and i was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the history of the area?

Either from personal knowledge or a point in the direction of any good resources on the area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Luke[/quote My aunt had the fish and chip shop top of vale rd corner of mount rd inthe 30 tes ,large garden at the back they kept chickens and pigs , there used to be kids swings just above mount rd where i spent many an hour, i remember a family called Smith on mount rd

Did the Smiths you talk about have 2 boys, Richard & Geoff, & 2 girls, Janice & Mandy?

To Arthur Fearn,

What was your aunt's name, as you can see from my list of Vale road residents, 106 the chippy was Turner's in 1948, and Hitchen's also had it before at some point.

myaunts name was Warwick ,William was her husbands name

They must have had a short stint there 1925 has John Wortley fried fish dealer, Hitchen's also kept chickens and pigs, must have rubbed off on them.

Unfortuanately I dont have the court houses but in 1948 41 Mount Road Has Jack Smith, and 43 was Simpsons who I believe were related to Smith's.