Theresa May - What should she do in 3,5 years?

Should we do this every time a political party changes it's leader, or just the party you didn't vote for?

This might be the one thing that would get Corbyn to resign. ;)

(Yes I did realise you meant the party in power changes it's leader.)

Why do people seem to think that a change in PM means we need a GE?

Should we do this every time a political party changes it's leader, or just the party you didn't vote for?

It depends if the party in power is sticking to the policies that they were elected on.

It depends if the party in power is sticking to the policies that they were elected on.

There is one huge reason why a ruling party with a new leader doesn't call an immediate election. It is because they have a new leader and don't need to.

Until a leader has been in the job and become a household name, put in place their policies they would put themselves at a big disadvantage. So if there is an early election (which I doubt) it would be in 6 months at the earliest. But because the Labour Party is tearing itself to pieces with Corbyn in charge no one is going to call an election any earlier than they need to. Corbyn has seriously damaged the labour party in less than a year. Give him another 4 years and the job will be done to the point of no return.

Why would the Tories call an election that will inevitably lead to the replacement of Corbyn as Labour leader. Let the Labour MPs spend 4 years trying to get rid of him whilst destroying the Labour Party at the same time.

In any case, has Theresa May got the power to call a General Election now there are fixed term parliaments ?

We know a vote of non confindence can trigger an election, but surely one reason for fixed term parliaments is to prevent a Prime Minister choosing the timing of a General Election for the advantage of the ruling party.

In any case, has Theresa May got the power to call a General Election now there are fixed term parliaments ?

We know a vote of non confindence can trigger an election, but surely one reason for fixed term parliaments is to prevent a Prime Minister choosing the timing of a General Election for the advantage of the ruling party.

All that is true.

Theresa May is not going to trigger a new election by calling for a vote of no confidence. Whilst doing so would be good for democracy in this country, the inevitable embarrassing Labour defeat would enable them to ditch Corbyn and find a new leader who might provide some form of opposition to the government[1], it would be a distraction from sorting out whatever terms the brexiters eventually accept from the EU.

[1] Have you noticed that when you talk about Labour and opposition now you have to specify whether you mean 'opposition to the government' or 'opposition to other bits of the Labour party'?

There is one huge reason why a ruling party with a new leader doesn't call an immediate election. It is because they have a new leader and don't need to.

Until a leader has been in the job and become a household name, put in place their policies they would put themselves at a big disadvantage. So if there is an early election (which I doubt) it would be in 6 months at the earliest. But because the Labour Party is tearing itself to pieces with Corbyn in charge no one is going to call an election any earlier than they need to. Corbyn has seriously damaged the labour party in less than a year. Give him another 4 years and the job will be done to the point of no return.

Why would the Tories call an election that will inevitably lead to the replacement of Corbyn as Labour leader. Let the Labour MPs spend 4 years trying to get rid of him whilst destroying the Labour Party at the same time.

Oh foxy you know it doesn't work like that.

We don't try before we buy with PMs. People in this country don't like that as we could and most likely will find out again.

You seem more obsessed with Corbyn than the most brainwashed disciples of Momentum are. Not healthy.

Oh foxy you know it doesn't work like that.

We don't try before we buy with PMs. People in this country don't like that as we could and most likely will find out again.

You seem more obsessed with Corbyn than the most brainwashed disciples of Momentum are. Not healthy.

So why don't you explain to us all how it does work. I suspect it is because I was bang on and you don't have a clue. Then tell ell us all about John Major.

I'm very fond of Corbyn. He has an important job to do. He is tasked with the destruction of the Labour Party. He seems to be doing pretty well at it so far.

Edited by foxy lady

So why don't you explain to us all how it does work. I suspect it is because I was bang on and you don't have a clue. Then tell ell us all about John Major.

I'm very fond of Corbyn. He has an important job to do. He is tasked with the destruction of the Labour Party. He seems to be doing pretty well at it so far.

It usually works by having a general election and each party with a leader who is standing along with the rest of his/her party on a platform outlined in a manifesto. The public decide which of their constituency candidates they like best and vote for them, and do so with each party's manifesto, track record and leader in mind. Then a party usually gets a majority of seats and their leader is asked to form a government.

John Major. Hmmmm.....isn't he thd one who goosed Edwina Currie, probably before you were born. Now...tell me about Gordon Brown.

It usually works by having a general election and each party with a leader who is standing along with the rest of his/her party on a platform outlined in a manifesto. The public decide which of their constituency candidates they like best and vote for them, and do so with each party's manifesto, track record and leader in mind. Then a party usually gets a majority of seats and their leader is asked to form a government.

John Major. Hmmmm.....isn't he thd one who goosed Edwina Currie, probably before you were born. Now...tell me about Gordon Brown.

I'm too young to remember when a Prime Minister stood down between election and his/her successor called an immediate General Election, although rather a lot of those who took over went on to win the next election anyhow. Think it has happened about 4 times since the war. John Major being one of them. He was PM for almost 7 years.

Still I wouldn't get too upset by it all. I note William Hill are offering 4/9 on Theresa May still being Prime Minister New Years Eve 2020. Which presumably means they expect her to be PM for getting on 9 years at least unless she hands over power to the next Tory Prime Minister.

Gordon Brown like virtually every Labour leader of the last 40 years was incapable of winning a General election because he was a bit crap. The only exception being Tony Blair who Labour voters tell me wasn't really Labour at all. Perhaps that's the secret of success for Labour. Change your policies to those of the centre ground and rename your party. I think quite a few of the PLP will be doing that shortly.

Edited by foxy lady