Boris Johnson - new Foriegn Secretary

Owning things is about having them there to look at and enjoy. It also gives more flexibility. The jury is out on if I lost anything. I'm not 100% sure that the price won't go back up again following the events in France and Turkey.

I've no problem with having a bit of gold around, particularly as it lives in the vault at the local bank. Anyhow we don't live on the Manor and folk round here have 3 times that much left out in the driveways at night.

I always thought silver attracted VAT. I could be wrong. Mind you I'm considering swapping a few KGs for some Victorian proof coins.

Coinage doesnt attract VAT at all. So if you deal in secondhand coinage (which is 50% silver by weight) you can dodge that one.

That might be because Croatia isn't part of Schengen..

It might not be part of the Schengen area but as part of its accession to the EU was supposedly granted visa free travel into the area. It clearly wasn't.

• 2 weeks later...
Already dropped a ballock by blaming the recent shooting in Germany on international terrorism rather than crazed loner.

Or the reality of what he said...

If, as seems very likely, this is another terrorist incident, then I think it proves once again that we have a global phenomenon and a global sickness that we have to tackle both at the source – in the areas where the cancer is being incubated in the Middle East – and also of course around the world.”

If, as seems very likely, this is another terrorist incident, then I think it proves once again that we have a global phenomenon and a global sickness that we have to tackle both at the source – in the areas where the cancer is being incubated in the Middle East – and also of course around the world.”

He got it wrong.

Perhaps BoJo should have been more guarded in his initial response, like Obama was, instead of spouting similar nonsense to the xenophobes on here did, armed with a surprisingly similar lack of knowledge about the facts.

Then again, as others have said, BoJo still thinks he's in the Eton playground. Bless.

The clanger he's dropped is that he has said the UK will keep its passporting rights.

That is an interesting position to take before negotiations have started, it means that he now has to guarantee them in the City and therefore has given away part of his negotiating position. He seems to think he is in an election campaign in Europe, but he isn't, he is in a negotiating role. His comment about terrorism shows he wants to keep working together on the area of intelligence and (possibly) defence. Again, giving away bargaining chips.

He got it wrong.

Not really. Statements as to likelihood are not made explicitly right or wrong when reality is revealed.

A statement of likelihood can in fact be absolutely correct but reality occasionally selects the less likely outcome.

Let's say you have 2 dice. I say that you're unlikely to throw a double-6 first time, but that's what do. Was I wrong to say it was unlikely?

Now if you'd like to make a case that, based on the information available at the time, his assertion that it was likely to be a terrorist incident was incorrect, then I'm all ears.

• 4 months later...

Now what is it I said about Boris Johnson ? Wasn`t it something like :

I agree with you 100%. In fact I`m seriously worried about Theresa May`s judgment. Quite apart from the fact he needed someone to organise everything when he was Mayor of London (he was in charge for early on in his first term, and made an absolute b******s of it) as the French Foreign Minister said, he lied repeatedly during the Referendum campaign. Hardly a positive start to the most important part of his new job. I predict disaster, just like when he was shadow minister for the arts, he got sacked for undiplomatic / tactless / blunt remarks. Perfect material for a Foreign Secretary, not.