Suzuki Jimny, good/bad

I am wanting to buy a motor vehicle that will be reliable in the winter months. Being a Careworker, I need to have a reliable car that will keep me going through thick and thin. Most of my jobs at moment, if need be, I can walk to my clients but I'm taking clients on further afield.

A few people have recommended a Suzuki Jimny and having looked them up, it's a lovely little car but....would it be reliable. I've got about £5,000 to spend

I am wanting to buy a motor vehicle that will be reliable in the winter months. Being a Careworker, I need to have a reliable car that will keep me going through thick and thin. Most of my jobs at moment, if need be, I can walk to my clients but I'm taking clients on further afield.

A few people have recommended a Suzuki Jimny and having looked them up, it's a lovely little car but....would it be reliable. I've got about £5,000 to spend

With £5k you could get a much better car than this for what you want.

I'd say bad

...it's a lovely little car...

No. It's an ugly car.

Top Gear gave it 1/10

http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/suzuki/jimny

Auto Express gave it 2/5

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/suzuki/jimny

Buy a Toyota Yaris instead.

Now that is a lovely little car

x

Edited by The Joker

By a Yaris (or other reliable car) and, wait for it, winter tyres. Swap them for your summer ones in November. Our van does not get stuck in snow. You don't see many 4x4 ambulances do you?

I'll now wait for the avalance of "waste of money" "I never get stuck in the snow and I live at the North Pole" etc etc.

But if you have to be somewhere, buy winter tyres.

No. It's an ugly car.

Buy a Toyota Yaris instead.

Now that is a lovely little car

x

It's definitely ugly yes!

I'm not sure if they want a 4x4/Bigger type car. Seems a bit pointless really, unless working in some bad terrain/ or working in the sticks.

A bit more info required I think from you chocki to get some better advice.

If it is this type of car you want, just having a quick look on Auto trader, I'd probably go for something like this

However if not ness 4x4, then the options are greatly increased for something much cheaper on repairs.

Fully agree with winter tyres.l They really work. We live on a steep hill that many cannot negotiate in winter conditions. We have never been stuck.

We have a second pair of rims with them on so its easy to change them over, Obviously tyre shops will swap them over at a cost, some even store the tyres for you.

Suzuki Jimmy very heavy on fuel.

Try a freelander diesel with the BMW engine. in winter when all the soft off roaders are stuck the freelander just keeps going.

Cheap to run although the road tax is high at £290.

By a Yaris (or other reliable car) and, wait for it, winter tyres. Swap them for your summer ones in November. Our van does not get stuck in snow. You don't see many 4x4 ambulances do you?

I'll now wait for the avalance of "waste of money" "I never get stuck in the snow and I live at the North Pole" etc etc.

But if you have to be somewhere, buy winter tyres.

This^^^^^^^

On road the most uncomfortable car known to man. Off road they are brilliant, very light and 4x4, so ploughed fields and snow no problem.

Angel1.

Generally, Suzukis are regarded as being fairly reliable.

But unless you need a small 4WD for muddy fields and rocky tracks, then the compromises in terms of ride quality on the road are, IMO, too much. I'd buy a small 4/5 seater runabout qnd fit winter or 4 season tyres.

Although I've now retired, so I don't need a car to guarantee getting through, any more, when I was working and had a 10+ mile trip to work (with no public transport options), I went down the "city car with 4:season tyres" approach, and never regretted it. Neither did I need to miss a day due to weather problems.

Edit. Although I've only driven a Jimny hire car, on holiday, I drove an earlier version for around a year in the early 90s, which was very similar, although even more agricultural. I actually quite like them, and don't mind the ride and handling provded you are doing low speed pottering around town (although I doubt they'd ever pass the Elk Test). They'd be OK as a second car that never did much mileage, but as an only car, pretty much any car would be better.

More edit. If you really think 4WD is important (I don't, I think appropriate tyres are much more important), then maybe look at the 4WD Fiat Panda, which may have been around long enough to have examples in your price bracket.

Even more edit. Even more about safety and handling... http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/suzuki/jimny/2006/

Edited by Eater Sundae