New garden shed advice, please..

New shed being delivered soon.

Flat concrete base already down.

From the photo's, the shed floor has 'joists' underneath, running from front to back (6'), but appear to be only (maybe) 1.5" square.

I have some 2x3" timber lengths that I could run at right angles to the shed joists....

Should I, or just simply position the shed on to the concrete?!

Definitely lay your hut onto wood, over time the base will rot and can be replaced easily.

one neighbor of ours had a shed built on a concrete base in the early 1960s. The shed went rotten and was demolished in the 90s. The concrete base is still there as good as new.

one neighbor of ours had a shed built on a concrete base in the early 1960s. The shed went rotten and was demolished in the 90s. The concrete base is still there as good as new.

Hence my question : and there's the quandary!

If I simply lay the floor as it comes - on approximately 1" bearers - rain will get underneath, sit on the concrete, and start rotting the bearers!

If I raise the floor on 2"x3" cross-bearers, the theory is that damp will have to 'get through' them first before getting into the floor proper....that said, the more space there is underneath allows wet leaves etc., to get underneath as well!

The waterproof brick idea mentioned by my friend above is a cracking idea, though...

Hence my question : and there's the quandary!

If I simply lay the floor as it comes - on approximately 1" bearers - rain will get underneath, sit on the concrete, and start rotting the bearers!

If I raise the floor on 2"x3" cross-bearers, the theory is that damp will have to 'get through' them first before getting into the floor proper....that said, the more space there is underneath allows wet leaves etc., to get underneath as well!

The waterproof brick idea mentioned by my friend above is a cracking idea, though...

Yes indeed. Unfortunately I don't know anything about the construction of the shed that was there except to say that the concrete base should outlast the shed, but I wish you good luck with it.

The greater the airflow under a shed the better it is. A good size gap underneath will deter rats from making a home there.

When I prepared a base for a shed some ago I put 3 old railway sleepers down with a breeze block under the ends of the sleepers. No rats, and very good air flow ventilation. You would be fine with just the sleepers though.

Edited by Janus