New garden shed advice, please..

The greater the airflow under a shed the better it is. A good size gap underneath will deter rats from making a home there.

When I prepared a base for a shed some ago I put 3 old railway sleepers down with a breeze block under the ends of the sleepers. No rats, and very good air flow ventilation. You would be fine with just the sleepers though.

Ah.

Vermin!

Hadn't even considered that aspect....thanks for the tip!

The greater the airflow under a shed the better it is. A good size gap underneath will deter rats from making a home there.

When I prepared a base for a shed some ago I put 3 old railway sleepers down with a breeze block under the ends of the sleepers. No rats, and very good air flow ventilation. You would be fine with just the sleepers though.

Absolutely, higher off the ground the better (4" fence posts, or double up on the 3x2), although you might have to make a small step out of slabs or wood. I'd use bearers high enough to run a sweeping brush under.

Just another note to say on the shed that was demolished. It was the roof that went rotten first, but I don't know how often it was re-felted.

Floor in my case, spilldig!

It was all tongue-and-groove, even the roof.

Must've cost a few bob when it was put up, but it was 20 years+ ago, so I guess it had done more than fairly well!

Or if the gaps are a little bit bigger than a piece of 2x4 you can just bung that through with a mallet and eject anything that may be living under there. I found if you made it large enough to discourage rats you end up with hedgehogs (useful) or feral cats (smelly)

Floor in my case, spilldig!

It was all tongue-and-groove, even the roof.

Must've cost a few bob when it was put up, but it was 20 years+ ago, so I guess it had done more than fairly well!

The neighbours shed lasted the best part of 40 years so I reckon that's not bad either.

Might help the 'rising damp' problem if you trap a sheet of waterproof membrane between the 3x2s and the joists that come with the shed. Did this with my shed some ten years ago and the floor is as dry as a bone.