House Essentials in the 40s/50s

My parents, well my Mother really, decided to have a new tiled fireplace put in and our Yorkshire range taken out, I think she realised she'd made a mistake afterwards as the range was fantastic for cooking and I loved to watch the coal fire with the escaping gas popping as it caught light, brilliant by the sixties the clean air act put paid to our coal fire and coke replaced it, that was no comparison to coal. By 1966 I had left the Manor behind and all the great childhood memories, I was married with a little boy with another baby on the way, our new home had terrible central heating and after fifty years I still hate it.

Not quite my era as I was born in the 60's but if you had young children nappy pins were essential in the late 70's

I've still got one of our daughter's pink nappy pin, and she's now 51! :hihi:

---------- Post added 20-08-2016 at 22:30 ----------

Fire guard? :)

I've still got one of our daughter's pink nappy pin, and she's now 51! :hihi:

---------- Post added 20-08-2016 at 22:30 ----------

Fire guard? :)

I'm still old enough to remember the 40s, I remember the making of pegged rugs,they were made using a sack for the back and scraps of material cut

1 inch by 4 inches and the use of a pegger,and tin plate on the front of the fire when it was getting old it fitted across the coalhole grates outside, ash nook, no plug sockets all electrical things ran off the central light with adaptors off it mind we only had wireless and iron

n

Edited by willybite

Someone mentioned Donkey Stone which all houseproud wives used to rub around the edges of their steps, but how about blacklead, which same housewives used to polish up the old Yorkshire ranges. Also, "Don't you try soft soaping me" if you were trying to get round somebody, (usually your mum). Remember soft soap? A thick greasy substance. Not sure what it was used for.