Manchester Airport - Immigration clearance times

Has anyone with a non-British passport entered UK using the airport at Manchester recently?

I have friends arriving at Manchester next month and was in the process of booking advance train tickets from Manchester Airport to Sheffield. If I have an idea of how long it will approximately take them to reach the train station from the time their plane lands, it would help me with the train reservation timings.

I tend to aim to be there as the flight lands (normally) if they have no luggage, if they do have luggage it is usually fine to be half an hour late. The longest time I needed to get through immigration at Manchester was when I got stuck trying to use the Irisscanner, well, I didn't get stuck, but the ten people in front of me who didn't realise you needed a new passport to use it did...

Coming Home

"We understand that sometimes flights back to sunny Manchester are delayed and you may be concerned about missing the train home you bought your ticket for, don't worry with an Airport Advance you can catch the next available Transpennine Express train up to 3 hours after the departure time stated on the ticket.*"

Arrival delays and baggage delays can be a much bigger problem eg

EasyJet:

arrive 50 min late

held on plane 30 min

walk/immigration 15 min

baggage 40 min

All part of Schengen, unlike the UK. We will be non-EU.

Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein are all non-EU. They benefit from free movement within the EEA under an EC directive.

The Schengen Agreement imposes a Visa requirement on certain non-EEA nationals whereby they need a visa to travel through Europe.

The two are totally distinct.

What has put us off flying is the time took going out, not arriving back.When we first started it used to be one hour check in for Europe and international, then it went to two hours for international and then two hours for Europe and the last time we went we were advised 3 hours check in.