Payment in petrol station

Been to local petrol station to fill up went to pay with my cash card ,now I know

I'm not in to the latest payment plans, but I only had to put my card at side of machine to take my payment instead off placing in the machine and putting my PIN number in so what I am saying is if I lose my card anyone could use my card surely this is not good practice or is this the norm?

Edited by jacklev1
Wording

Been to local petrol station to fill up went to pay with my cash card ,now I know

I'm not in to the latest payment plans, but I only had to put my card at side of m/c to take my payment instead off placing in m/c and putting my PIN number in so what I am saying is if I lose my card anyone could use my card surely this is not good practice or is this the norm?

I always use cash at petrol stations. Even my usual one. I prefer it.

I think this contactless payment thing is limited to about £20-30 quid. I'd use this at local supermarket, and my local corner shop, as I can go down there if they ripped me off.

I always use cash at petrol stations. Even my usual one. I prefer it.

I think this contactless payment thing is limited to about £20-30 quid. I'd use this at local supermarket, and my local corner shop, as I can go down there if they ripped me off.

Ash is right there is a max.

if someone finds your card they can use it easy. but they'd likely be caught on CCTV.

put the helpline number on the back of your card in your phone memory. then if you lose the card you can phone up and have it blocked immediately.

every now and again the contactless doesn't work and it will say the pin is required.

It took me a good minute to figure out what an "m/c" was.

The contactless payment has been around for a while, and is becoming more prevalent. I like it, but I'm lazy :hihi:

The limit has recently been increased to £30.

---------- Post added 19-07-2016 at 23:09 ----------

I like the pay at pump option available at some stations, saves queueing in the shop, you can just drive off after paying and fuelling :)

I'm not in to the latest payment plans, but I only had to put my card at side of machine to take my payment instead off placing in the machine and putting my PIN number in so what I am saying is if I lose my card anyone could use my card surely this is not good practice or is this the norm?

Assuming that this is not a contactless payment.....

I'd have a chat with your card issuer immediately if you had to swipe the magstripe (as opposed to a contactless). There is no reason for the chip not the be used - if the garage is skimming off the magstripe then that info can easily be used overseas for cash withdrawals.

Anyone in the UK (or for that matter most of Europe) who doesn't let you use the chip facility is not in compliance with the scheme (visa, mastercard etc) rules. Just don't do it and find some other way to pay. If they get problematic call the police.

My bank has set my contactless card limit to £25.

Also, your bank should use something called Verified by Visa which prevents your card from being used online if it is lost/stolen.

The cards themselves are pretty much safe these days. The majority of the fraud is people being tricked into handing over their details by themselves...

every now and again the contactless doesn't work and it will say the pin is required.
That's a built-in safety measure, to ensure that it is still the cardholder who has and is using the card: the card chip 'makes' the card request the PIN periodically, entering the PIN 'resets' the limited number of times the card can be used for contactless payment, the card can't be used for contactless payments anymore if the PIN isn't entered.

:)