Are Summer Riots to become an anual event in the UK?

The police turned up because of the sheer numbers of people, to preserve peace and uphold the law for everyone. There were people in hyde park who were just trying to enjoy their day too you know who were nothing to do with it.

As things panned out it turns out they were right to attend and it was completely justified.

You need to ask yourself what would have happened if they hadnt! What do you reckon the chance it would have all passed peacefully if they hadnt? Id put my mortgage on 0% and it would have escalated into something much worse.

Esp with the sound system blasting out and the numbers swelling with the help of social media spreading the word.

There was no organisation of the event and no one taking responsibility for the attendees.

The police had to attend whether the revellers wanted them to or not.

we will have to agree to disagree as to whether turning up in riot gear was the right response to a water fight. I don't disagree a police presence is required, especially as there are nutters driving into large crowds around Europe right now.

the sun reports cops in riot gear at 3pm. I already sent that link. look at pics online as well, you can see them there ready in broad daylight.

the guardian reports violence flared at 8:40. the sun 9pm.

you can't argue: riot police were there early, for a water fight.

Edited by DanBUK

you can't argue: riot police were there early, for a water fight.

So they should be there early. Hundreds of people turning up to a completely unsupervised unplanned event with a growing crowd minute by minute.

Lets not forget the basics here. We are talking a prominent park in the middle of London. We have just had a belly full of small scale and mass injuries and fatalities as a result of various terrorist acts.

The entire country, particuarly so London is on highest levels of alerts.

Call it a "water fight". Call it an "innocent peaceful gathering" the fact remains it was a unsupervised and uncontrolled public gathering which very very quickly escalated to thousands of people.

You really think the Police were going to sit on their backsides and wait for something to happen. The fact that the moron elements of this "water fight" appear to instantly turn violent and start throwing projectiles at the mere prescence of police proves my point even more.

I could not care less whether the police went round in armed tanks to every small scale meeting. They are doing their job. A job made even more important given the recent climate. SOME of these youths were involved in unlicenced events, violent acts, looting and anti-social behaviour. People can protest all they want but NONE of these events had a right to take place.

Social media is not above the law. Sending out an invite does not give entitlement for something to happen without permission.

We all saw how the met was hugely criticised for their failures during the 2011 looting and arson attacks. I dont blame them one bit for their defensive stance now.

Edited by ECCOnoob

So they should be there early. Hundreds of people turning up to a completely unsupervised unplanned event with a growing crowd minute by minute.

Lets not forget the basics here. We are talking a prominent park in the middle of London. We have just had a belly full of small scale and mass injuries and fatalities as a result of various terrorist acts.

The entire country, particuarly so London is on highest levels of alerts.

Call it a "water fight". Call it an "innocent peaceful gathering" the fact remains it was a unsupervised and uncontrolled public gathering which very very quickly escalated to thousands of people.

You really think the Police were going to sit on their backsides and wait for something to happen. The fact that the moron elements of this "water fight" appear to instantly turn violent and start throwing projectiles at the mere prescence of police proves my point even more.

I could not care less whether the police went round in armed tanks to every small scale meeting. They are doing their job. A job made even more important given the recent climate.

do you ever go to football matches? thousands of people on the streets. dozens of police. are those in riot gear from the get go? or only when/if it kicks off? hillsborough holds 38,000.

have to been to BST concerts in Hyde Park? i have. tonnes of police. none in riot gear. 65,000 people attend those.

yesterday the police were tooled up in riot gear ready to dance hours before any trouble happened.

how is that to deter terrorism?

Edited by DanBUK

do you ever go to football matches? thousands of people on the streets. dozens of police. are those in riot gear from the get go? or only when/if it kicks off? hillsborough holds 38,000.

have to been to BST concerts in Hyde Park? i have. tonnes of police. none in riot gear. 65,000 people attend those.

yesterday the police were tooled in riot gear ready to dance hours before any trouble happened.

how is that to deter terrorism?

Organised authorised planned and controlled events. Not even the same thing.

Remember the London/Birmingham/Manchester Riots. Remember how they started - Wildfire social media invites. Sudden and unplanned gatherings of youths. Too right they went full force. Like I just said, from the behaviour and attitude towards their presence they were damn right to be there.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Good point well made.

I think DanBUK thinks they turned up like the "fun police" though to stop anyone having fun when that clearly wasnt the case at all.

They were necessary and i think the way the event panned out proves that,they didnt go in heavy handed but instead were prepared.

You may agree to disagree with me Dan but if they hadnt turned up i think things would have definitely been much much worse.

Organised authorised planned and controlled events. Not even the same thing.

Remember the London/Birmingham/Manchester Riots. Remember how they started - Wildfire social media invites. Sudden and unplanned gatherings of youths. Too right they went full force. Like I just said, from the behaviour and attitude towards their presence they were damn right to be there.

with respect, there were nowhere near 65,000 at any of the riots of a few years ago. estimates for yesterday were 4,000. at BST there is lots of available alcohol as well. i'm not comparing like for like but i maintain, i saw a huge number of people drunk at bst. i never saw riot police. the crowd was 16 times bigger. at the libertines mostly young adults, like yesterday. why no riot police at a rock festival but for two schools having a water fight?

the fact that nothing happened til hours after they had shown up shows there was no immediate risk of a riot.

are you so naïve to believe that the police cannot possibly have brought this on themselves? sitting there for hours, on standby, dressed up with their batons and shields? seriously? you think there is no chance at all the police went in heavy handed? i'm not denying that possibility for a second.

have a read about orgreave.

---------- Post added 20-07-2016 at 23:26 ----------

Good point well made.

I think DanBUK thinks they turned up like the "fun police" though to stop anyone having fun when that clearly wasnt the case at all.

They were necessary and i think the way the event panned out proves that,they didnt go in heavy handed but instead were prepared.

You may agree to disagree with me Dan but if they hadnt turned up i think things would have definitely been much much worse.

wrong i'm afraid. i just refuse to rule out the possibility the police weren't heavy handed.

do you believe their account?

police never lie do they? except about Hillsborough, Orgreave etc. No the police never ever lie to protect themselves.

i already said i don't excuse the violence or the looting of McD.

if the police went in heavy handed, imagine if they hadn't. nothing might have happened.

Edited by DanBUK

with respect, there were nowhere near 65,000 at any of the riots of a few years ago. estimates for yesterday were 4,000. at BST there is lots of available alcohol as well. i'm not comparing like for like but i maintain, i saw a huge number of people drunk at bst. i never saw riot police. the crowd was 16 times bigger. at the libertines mostly young adults, like yesterday. why no riot police at a rock festival but for two schools having a water fight?

the fact that nothing happened til hours after they had shown up shows there was no immediate risk of a riot.

are you so naïve to believe that the police cannot possibly have brought this on themselves? sitting there for hours, on standby, dressed up with their batons and shields? seriously? you think there is no chance at all the police went in heavy handed? i'm not denying that possibility for a second.

have a read about orgreave.

---------- Post added 20-07-2016 at 23:26 ----------

wrong i'm afraid. i just refuse to rule out the possibility the police weren't heavy handed.

do you believe their account?

police never lie do they? except about Hillsborough, Orgreave etc. No the police never ever lie to protect themselves.

i already said i don't excuse the violence or the looting of McD.

if the police went in heavy handed, imagine if they hadn't. nothing might have happened.

Funnily enough my mum was at Hyde park a couple of weeks ago with 64,999 other people. There were loads of security, loads of first aid and every single bag was checked and everyone was scanned. Have guess why riot police weren't needed?

Funnily enough my mum was at Hyde park a couple of weeks ago with 64,999 other people. There were loads of security, loads of first aid and every single bag was checked and everyone was scanned. Have guess why riot police weren't needed?

Because it was a Stevie Wonder concert and it was full of more mature people?

Edited by Radan