£1bn Chinese investment in Sheffield

:huh:

OK, but before we all get carried away...

... what's in it for them? :suspect:

Why does anyone want to invest so much money in a foreign country that is allegedly going to the dogs, and more especially Sheffield, a city that has missed the boat on so many levels?

Even more worryingly, the council will decide where all this money is to be spent!

And some people think Brexit is going to be bad news... :roll:

You think a £1bn investment in the city is bad nesw? FFS :rolleyes:

You think a £1bn investment in the city is bad nesw? FFS :rolleyes:

:hihi:

Obviously not, providing we're not selling the family silver!

I think giving the council a free hand to fritter away a £1bn investment on their pet projects might be though! :roll:

:)

Yep, I get all that...

... but I'm sure this money is not going to be some sort of charitable gift.

If I was investing a billion pounds in anything, then I'd definitely want a say in how it was to be spent, and I'd also be wanting something tangible in return.

It's still not clear to me what that something tangible is... :huh:

I don't see any of this as a problem really they'll want a return in cash and a say in how their money is spent. Capitalism shouldn't be complicated.

Guest makapaka

Yep, I get all that...

If I was investing a billion pounds in anything, then I'd definitely want a say in how it was to be spent, and I'd also be wanting something tangible in return.

They won't give the council the money to spend. They will spend it as they see fit to maximise the return.

The investment will then have secondary benefits for the City - improved employment /economy / amenities etc.

They won't give the council the money to spend. They will spend it as they see fit to maximise the return.

That's not what Julie Dore said on TV..... she said it was up to the council to decide where to spend it ,it's also in the papers

"“The projects funded by this investment will be determined by Sheffield city council, "

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/21/sheffield-lands-billion-pound-china-deal-to-create-hundreds-of-jobs

It seems the chinese love Sheffield with more & more coming each year. We have the universities to thank for that. I personally welcome them with open arms. Those students seem lovely, they integrate well and never cause any problems.

Not sure what the appeal of Sheffield is but if you go to places like Castleton it is full of chinese people on day trips etc....so it might be Sheffield's location to the British countryside that they love.

And Henderson's Relish.

Yep, I get all that...

What has always attracted investment? Land. The council owns large tracts of inner city (prime) land, presumably that will be sold to this group. The group builds new buildings and rents/leases those out. It has the option to keep hold of the land as well.

---------- Post added 21-07-2016 at 09:50 ----------

That's not what Julie Dore said on TV..... she said it was up to the council to decide where to spend it ,it's also in the papers

"“The projects funded by this investment will be determined by Sheffield city council, "

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/21/sheffield-lands-billion-pound-china-deal-to-create-hundreds-of-jobs

No doubt with a veto/input close in place though.

It seems the chinese love Sheffield with more & more coming each year. We have the universities to thank for that. I personally welcome them with open arms. Those students seem lovely, they integrate well and never cause any problems.

Agree. The Chinese have been part of Liverpool for years, and their presence and partnership is welcomed there with open arms.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d964702c-84a5-11e5-8095-ed1a37d1e096.html

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/200m-homes-shops-plan-set-9609013

Not sure what the appeal of Sheffield is but if you go to places like Castleton it is full of chinese people on day trips etc....so it might be Sheffield's location to the British countryside that they love.

And Henderson's Relish.

Sheffield is very simple and relaxed, it gives the chinese a pleasant break from the stressed polluted environments they live in.

They give that money just out of appreciation to have a place to go to where they can live calmly again.