R.A.F at home.. 1954

Rummaging through our loft..I found an old diary of my mother's... and reading bits and bobs .. she wrote of a R.A.F open day at 'Norton' aerodrome'... it was during September 1954... among other things.. planes flew over and anti aircraft guns fired blanks which made my chest thump ! I'd be 8 and clearly remember being there... Does anyone else .. recall the day..?

I often heard of it and yes in the late '50s but what actually 'went on' there ?

Gotcha'.. 'stpetre'../... I remember mostly.. plenty of uniformed staff showing exhibits of flying stuff..and aircraft bits and bobs../.. the A.A guns banging away.. and low flying aircraft swooping in over the crowds' heads... as far as I remember.. I don't think there has ever been an actual runway up at Norton.

I often heard of it and yes in the late '50s but what actually 'went on' there ?

In the late 50s early 60s it was a repair depot for Ground Radar Equipment

Edited by bazjea

Gotcha'.. 'stpetre'../... I remember mostly.. plenty of uniformed staff showing exhibits of flying stuff..and aircraft bits and bobs../.. the A.A guns banging away.. and low flying aircraft swooping in over the crowds' heads... as far as I remember.. I don't think there has ever been an actual runway up at Norton.

I remember going with my dad around that time. Still remember dad talking with the airmen at the exhibits. He was ex RAF an instrument mechanic during the war I also remember the fly pasts. The open day was probably near Battle of Britain Day, September 15th.

...The open day was probably near Battle of Britain Day, September 15th.
Yes that's correct - I think it was the nearest Saturday to 15 September. Here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo of displays in the hangar on 17 September 1955. I recall going to the 1960 event which I think must have been one of the last.

I remember going 2/3 times to Norton in the late 50,s, one year stands out as i recall there was a Hawker Hunter on show. My fathers birthday was the 14thSept. so he celebrated both his birthday and the Battle of Britain day. I also remember they put on special buses from Pond St. direct to there. Happy memories.