R.A.F at home.. 1954

I was a fifteen year old ATC cadet in 1958 and we were 'on duty' that year at Norton for the air show. Some interesting aircraft flying past and I was chuffed to be allowed to sit in the mark 24 Spitfire which was the gate guardian there. That same Spitfire is now refurbished and on display at the RAF museum, Hendon.

• 2 weeks later...

1953 or 52 I was an airframe mech on a Lincoln bomber squadron and we were on standby for BB day flypasts. I spoke to our 'Chiefy' mech who said we would'nt be flying and I could go home for the weekend (Without a pass) if I went through a well known hole in the fence. Hitch-hiked to Sheffield, changed into civvies and went up to RAF Norton with the lads. Only been there a short time when admiring a Lincoln flypast on 3, 2 & then 1 engine whenI noticed its registration no 444, one of ours. Dashed home ,changed and caught the first train to Lincoln and got in by the skin of my teeth. Good old 'Chiefy' had covered for me.

1953 or 52 I was an airframe mech on a Lincoln bomber squadron and we were on standby for BB day flypasts. I spoke to our 'Chiefy' mech who said we would'nt be flying and I could go home for the weekend (Without a pass) if I went through a well known hole in the fence. Hitch-hiked to Sheffield, changed into civvies and went up to RAF Norton with the lads. Only been there a short time when admiring a Lincoln flypast on 3, 2 & then 1 engine whenI noticed its registration no 444, one of ours. Dashed home ,changed and caught the first train to Lincoln and got in by the skin of my teeth. Good old 'Chiefy' had covered for me.
........lovely story!

........lovely story!

Writing the above reminded me as to how kind and considerate folks were 50 odd years ago when common sense overcame bureaucracy. Our three squadrons were being relocated to RAF Wittering on the A1 prior to going abroad. We ground staff were loaded on a non-corridor train at Waddington for Peterborough the nearest station to RAF Wittering. Partway through the journey the train stopped in the middle of nowhere and the driver came banging on the doors. He shouted us to get out and explained that it was a long bus ride from Peterborough station with all our kit and said "If you all walk up that hedge side and through two fields you will come out onto the A1 opposite the camp gates". I think he got a packet of fags and our grateful thanks' Doubt whether it could happen today.