South Sea - Broomhill.

was one of those pubs that everyone said they hated but always ended up in there for some reason on the way out down town..

locals on friday and satdi night crookes walkley etc.. youngsters crowds of 18 year olds binging with the odd **** talker proping up the bar.. students term time and weeknights.. sometimes fancy dress ruggers boys and all that biz doin the rowdy but harmless drinking games and getting dirty looks and drama from local thugs lol.. havn't really been for about 3 years or somethin now... bare hinnings took place there watch yer plummers ;)

Dear All,

I have known [Tracy] only for about 7 months but in that time as the landlady of the Hadfield she has become a good freind.

As a locally self employed tiler and maintenance guy I work in and around the local area and had passed the Hadfield Pub [barber Road, Commonside] on many occasions, one day I ventured in on a recce to see what it was like.

I was most impressed and in this house locals and students mix without any issues, they actually respect each other! Lets face it, the local community benefit from the students being here, income is brought into Sheffield that could go elsewhere, also this activity creates employment for Sheffielder's?

Of course with any vast influx of youngster's anywhere in the country there may be associated issues, behaviour, rubbish etc but also wherever members of our Armed forces are based brings similar problems?

Its about clear communication to people about what is and isn't acceptable, and believe you me Tracy has the Hadfield Pub running efficiently, its clean and the staff are a sheer delight, courteous well mannered and even humerous, this is, in part down to the training and morals of Tracy and everyone involved in the Hadfield.

The pool tables in the Pub are the best in the area by a country mile and the food is also of a high standard..

I suppose I have started in this vain to demonstrate the way that the 'South Sea' will be run..there will be changes, all for the better, people [staff] may find it difficult to deal with change, but clearly you the previous, current and potential customers desire these changes, therefore it has to HAPPEN.. & THEY WILL OCCUR..

It will be a clean, well furnished and more stylish place with standards and of course with standards come do's and dont's that we all have to abide by..in life there has to be someone in charge or anarchy and disorder prevail, that environment exists at the moment because no-one has had theto challenge unsavoury behaviour..Standby because those who try to blacken or tarnish the reputation of the 'venue' from now on will be subject to positive action in a polite manner!!

Please dont be stifled by what went before, to change the 'mindset' of the staff who stay may take a few weeks, in order for the reinforcement of the change, Tracy and her business partner 'Craig' need us all to forget what went before and help the 'South Sea' become a venue where all are welcome, not just students, and not only locals, it needs to be somewhere that all ages and genders feel welcome and relaxed.

Having spoke to both Tracy and Paul over the last month or so they have been itching to get started and have been very mindful of the changes required. They have listened to all of your feedback and are determined to set the record straight..

Thanks and Good Luck to everyone, Customers and Staff alike.

Dear All,

I have known [Tracy - Future Landlady] only for about 7 months but in that time as the landlady of the Hadfield she has become a good freind.

As a locally self employed tiler and maintenance guy I work in and around the local area and had passed the Hadfield Pub [barber Road, Commonside] on many occasions, one day I ventured in on a recce to see what it was like.

I was most impressed and in this house locals and students mix without any issues, they actually respect each other! Lets face it, the local community benefit from the students being here, income is brought into Sheffield that could go elsewhere, also this activity creates employment for Sheffielder's?

Of course with any vast influx of youngster's anywhere in the country there may be associated issues, behaviour, rubbish etc but also wherever members of our Armed forces are based this brings similar problems?

Its about clear communication to people about what is and isn't acceptable, and believe you me Tracy has the Hadfield Pub running efficiently, its clean and the staff are a sheer delight, courteous well mannered and even humerous, this is, in part down to the training and morals of Tracy and everyone involved in the Hadfield.

The pool tables in the Pub are the best in the area by a country mile and the food is also of a high standard..

I suppose I have started in this vain to demonstrate the way that the 'South Sea' will be run..there will be changes, all for the better, people [staff] may find it difficult to deal with change, but clearly you the previous, current and potential customers desire these changes, therefore it has to HAPPEN.. & THEY WILL OCCUR..

It will be a clean, well furnished and more stylish place with standards and of course with standards come do's and dont's that we all have to abide by..in life there has to be someone in charge or anarchy and disorder prevail, that environment exists at the moment because no-one has had the 'moral courage' to challenge this unsavoury behaviour..Standby because those who try to blacken or tarnish the reputation of the 'venue' from now on will be subject to positive action in a polite manner - initially (ha, ha)!!

Please dont be stifled by what went before, to change the 'mindset' of those staff who stay may take a few weeks, in order for the reinforcement of the change, Tracy and her business partner 'Craig' need us all to forget what went before and help the 'South Sea' become a venue where all are welcome, not just students, and not only locals, it needs to be somewhere that all ages and genders feel welcome and relaxed.

Having spoke to both Tracy and Paul over the last month or so they have been itching to get started and have been very mindful of the changes required. They have listened to all of your feedback and are determined to set the record straight..

Thanks and Good Luck to everyone, Customers and Staff alike.

:thumbsup:

Mark Harrop -

You and I must have rubbed shoulders at some point in the Hadfield (I am part-owner of HFS Bathroom Centre over the road).

I totally agree with your post. Although I don't personally know Tracy, I do know Paul from the Hadfield and it's clear that the pair have totally transformed the Hadfield from a rather pokey, smelly and dingy backstreet pub into a lively, friendly and hear this, value-for-money establishment.

They haven't done it overnight either which proves their plans were more long-term than short. I trust therefore that the South Sea (which needs to retain its name BTW) will improve over the next five years or so.

As you rightly claim, mixing locals and students can be a tricky task, yet the atmosphere in the Hadfield, particularly during live sports, is always non-threatening. (I've even taken student tenants in myself, this is testament that the place suits both parties.)

The Hadfield is bigger than it looks from the outside, has three pool tables and serves brilliant v-f-m food. The Carlsberg Export is super and there is always some live sport on the many screens. And despite this, it isn't like a sports mad place but just an inviting, lively place to go eat and drink.

A guest ale might be the only thing missing. The pub used to serve Youngers beers and occasionally Theakston Old Peculiar (but in its former 'grotty' days) but I shouldn't complain.

If the South Seas is to be run along similar lines then I predict two things:-

1) Broomhill will acquire a superbly run pub offering food most of the day at decent prices; &

2) The other pubs in the region will be given a much-needed kick up the backside because they're pretty much sad places as things stand.

Good luck Tracy and Paul (but ensure you stick around the Hadfield as long as you can!)

Dave - aka Ousetunes

Thanks for your comments. I was just starting to have the colly wobbles about starting another business venture but it has helped to steady my nerves.

We have been at the Hadfield for 10 years tommorrow and I believe the stability we have given this place is a factor in its success. We bought the lease from Punch 6 months ago after managing the place for all that time and found it difficult at first to adjust. Now we are settling down its time to buy another, hence the South Sea. It wont become a rip roaring success over night but we will give it 100%.

Thank you all for support.