South Sea - Broomhill.

Hi,

Went in Friday, and although they know the work has only just started, the new colouring outside and in (unfinished I'm sure at the mo) is lighter and more welcoming. The staff working also seemed firendly and attentive.

Early days but a good start, and I'll probably pop in tonight for one too.

Whether it was the more inviting outside, or the knowledge that the pub has changed hands I don't know, but it was certainly a lot busier than I've seen it got a good while.

Ade

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't know that you ran the Hadfield as well. The Hadfield's a really good student pub (although, not my kind of establishement). If you can keep the same kind of thing going from the Hadfield - nice decor, friendly staff, good prices, sport, events on certain nights and perhaps a non-sport area though I'm not really sure were it would go - I'm sure you'll do great, most of the pubs in Broomhill don't offer as much as the Hadfield does to Crookes.

Didn't know that you ran the Hadfield as well. The Hadfield's a really good student pub (although, not my kind of establishement). If you can keep the same kind of thing going from the Hadfield - nice decor, friendly staff, good prices, sport, events on certain nights and perhaps a non-sport area though I'm not really sure were it would go - I'm sure you'll do great, most of the pubs in Broomhill don't offer as much as the Hadfield does to Crookes.

Forget the Sport and big screen TV..everyone else does that and there are a LOT of people who really hate watching football when they just want a drink and a chat..too many pubs try and cater for the 'sport' crowd, and its not really practical to put on the same 'offer' as everyone else. A sport and TV free pub would be fab in Broomhill..the Seas has never been sporty like the Fox and Duck or Nottingham House

Forget the Sport and big screen TV..everyone else does that and there are a LOT of people who really hate watching football when they just want a drink and a chat..too many pubs try and cater for the 'sport' crowd, and its not really practical to put on the same 'offer' as everyone else. A sport and TV free pub would be fab in Broomhill..the Seas has never been sporty like the Fox and Duck or Nottingham House

Hi,

I remember not so many years back when the SS was THE place on Broomhill for football - the atmosphere for England matches especially was exceptional.

Not catering for sports fans simply means the customers' money goes elsewhere.

Ade

Hi,

I remember not so many years back when the SS was THE place on Broomhill for football - the atmosphere for England matches especially was exceptional.

Not catering for sports fans simply means the customers' money goes elsewhere.

Ade

My point is that not EVERYONE is a sports fan..I know loads of pople who hate sport on TV and wont go into a pub that has big screen footie on..no one seems to cater for this market in broomhill, Fox and Duck has a massive screen and so does The Place, etc so whats the point in duplicating it? best to create a sport free pub and create a unique selling point that way..seriously, many students and drinkers in Broomhill are not interested in sport..especially women. How many times have I seen groups of girls walk into the Fox and Duck to be swamped with football on Tv and noisy male sport types, and who have turned round and walked out in disgust..

On the sports theme..Im Landlord of Devonshire Ecclesall Rd (just past Shell opp Old Brewery) and we have no tv!

So if you dont fancy Nursery, Varsity or Pomona on match days/nights why not walk 5 mins down the road and give us a try! There might even be somewhere to sit and hear each other talk!

For Ale drinkers we currently have on Black Sheep, Bradfield Farmers Bitter and Wentworth Bumble Beer.

My point is that not EVERYONE is a sports fan..I know loads of pople who hate sport on TV and wont go into a pub that has big screen footie on..no one seems to cater for this market in broomhill, Fox and Duck has a massive screen and so does The Place, etc so whats the point in duplicating it? best to create a sport free pub and create a unique selling point that way..seriously, many students and drinkers in Broomhill are not interested in sport..especially women. How many times have I seen groups of girls walk into the Fox and Duck to be swamped with football on Tv and noisy male sport types, and who have turned round and walked out in disgust..

Hi,

Not everyone is a sports fan, I agree..but you have a lot of students who do like sports, and lots of non-students too. Now, most of the Broomhill pubs aren't particularly noisy when sport is on, only for the internationals really.

And though I can sympathise with those who don't like to watch the sports, it isn't very often when it's an issue for those who don't like it..and in all honesty, if I was the person trying to make a living from a pub, I'd rather have the blokes in spending money on beer than a group of girls who'll spend less in all likelihood.

It would be ideal if you could cater for all - but if you can't, and you're running a business, it's only sensible to go for the bigger share of the market.

Ade

There's plenty of blokes who don't like sport (in a pub anyway).

If the sport is on when we arrive somewhere after training we often go elsewhere so that we can find a seat and not have to listen to cheering everytime some fool manages to kick a ball.