What Veg and fruit can you grow in the winter months?

Seems an odd question given where in the middle of summer but I often think is it possible to grow veg and fruit in the winter months? . What can I grow any ideas, I do have a greenhouse plus a fair sized outdoor growing area?

Hi,

There's not a lot you can start in winter and harvest in the same winter. Do you want things you can start earlier, usually late summer, and harvest in the winter? Or things you can grow over winter to keep the ground occupied, or things to start off in winter to keep yourself occupied?

There's a good guide here for things to sow Summer and harvest winter to spring, and another here for winter sowing. It's also a good site to buy seeds from. I'd recommend the winter radishes especially.

Guest sibon

Right now, you can plant lettuce, radish, turnips, spinach and beetroot. I planted some carrot seed yesterday, that will give me baby carrots by the end of October. If you can get hold of any winter cabbage or sprout plants, you can plant them out now.

In September, you can plant overwintering onions, garlic, shallots and broad beans.

So there is plenty that you can be getting on with. Good luck.

Peas, chard, spinach, spinach beet, beetroot, swede, cabbage, chinese cabbage, kale, pak choi, mustard leaf, cauliflower, mizuna, lettuce.. these over winter really well

http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/plant-inspiration/winter-veg-crops-to-sow-in-august/

Thanks will have a go at these as we get nearer to the time worth a go whatever happens.