To the motorcyclist on the A57 who made the obscene gesture @ 1710

That's because its going much much slower than the speed limit and it would be silly to stay behind it.

If there is a queue of cyclist waiting at the lights in single file on the left with no cars to their right would you not pull up to the lights along side them making another lane?

I know some ignorant cyclist (there's plenty of them) spread out across the road, it's not something i do as everybody else is much quicker than me and it would make me look more foolish than usual.

When a motorcyclist or pedalcyclist is waiting to turn right against on coming traffic do you not pass on the left? If they are turning left and slowing down do you not pass them, again making third lanes?

If more people rode cycles / motorcycles when on their own then there would be a lot less traffic queues for ignorant " must drag my big box unessesarily around with me" people like you to be holding up traffic in.

The issue is more about rejoining the queue than creating a third lane, if its a decent motorcycle then they usually accelerate away from the lights much quicker moving over into a clear space. Morally no one has the right to push in ie. bumper to bumper traffic - motorcyclist makes third lane for a while then sticks indicator on (if you are lucky) and basically forces their way back into the queue- that's just rude.

There is the situation where for some reason the road is partially blocked (right tuning car, parked car) where a car cannot get through but a bike can, it is rude and selfish (but usually done) for the cars to block the way so the bike cannot get through neither.

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 16:54 ----------

Another situation is the new bus/cycle/taxi/motorcycle lane on penistone road away from town by the B&Q. As a motorcycle you can use the lane but at the end it goes down to two lanes and you are intended to merge in turn. I would have to say at least than 50% of vehicles try to block you out.

Its quite comical how they get right up to the car in front to stop you getting into the traffic queue, its just how the road is designed.

Magilla might not be but I am. It infuriates me. Get in line. I don't give a monkeys if it's a merge in turn. Why do they think we've been queuing for

Unfortunately because there are no clear rules about how such a situation should be handled you are just as wrong as the person you refuse to let merge.

In fact if a bump were to occur then you will probably find yourself in a 50:50 insurance claim.

Magilla might not be but I am. It infuriates me. Get in line. I don't give a monkeys if it's a merge in turn. Why do they think we've been queuing for

You've been queueing because you are sheep who like blocking up the road behind you.

Argue with the big spiky winch and bumper on the front of my car if you like. I will merge in turn though if you like it or not.. :)

You beat me to that reply, yesterday i saw a cyclist on penistone road cycling on the pedestrian footpath with the brand new Bus and cycle lane virtually empty. He really deserved a ticket.

The way Sheffield council has gone about the cycle lanes (other councils may be as bad or worst it still doesn't mean we have to be) is a lot too blame, the confusion its created with the mixed use mean lots of people think it is now legal to cycle on a footpath. Unless its a designated cycle lane its still illegal. Ok a little in exceptional circumstances not a problem but when you get ignorant sods like one on Hillsborough corner once telling people to get out of his way forcing an elderly lady onto the road with the traffic then some education and enforcement is definitely required.

Which side of the road was he on? The pavement opposite the bus lane and Morrisons I.e the same side as the greyhound stadium, is now a shared use / cycle path all the way from town to Leppings Lane. If he was on the other side he is daft, the pavement is narrower and the side roads are much busier.

Unfortunately because there are no clear rules about how such a situation should be handled you are just as wrong as the person you refuse to let merge.

In fact if a bump were to occur then you will probably find yourself in a 50:50 insurance claim.

I'll carry on being wrong. Same as Bradfield road (I know that's not a merge in lane) but you get them tearing up left lane (for turning left as is indicated by arrow) then decide to indicate to be let into right lane (to go straight ahead). Get lost, get in right lane!

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 17:20 ----------

You've been queueing because you are sheep who like blocking up the road behind you.

Argue with the big spiky winch and bumper on the front of my car if you like. I will merge in turn though if you like it or not.. :)

Fine......but how do you know my car!!

I'll carry on being wrong. Same as Bradfield road (I know that's not a merge in lane) but you get them tearing up left lane (for turning left as is indicated by arrow) then decide to indicate to be let into right lane (to go straight ahead). Get lost, get in right lane![

Nice strawman there - that's hardly a merge in turn as you originally described.

I think it makes sense to use both lanes rather than make one long queue and leave half the road empty.

It happens at the top of Halifax Road as you drive into Grenoside.

I think it makes sense to use both lanes rather than make one long queue and leave half the road empty.

It happens at the top of Halifax Road as you drive into Grenoside.

I know the one. There is one in the Atlas area of Attercliffe too, just where that Ferodo bridge is.

Why is the onus on the left-laners to let in the right-laners? even when the right-laners tend to come tearing up from behind?

I know the one. There is one in the Atlas area of Attercliffe too, just where that Ferodo bridge is.

Why is the onus on the left-laners to let in the right-laners? even when the right-laners tend to come tearing up from behind?

The onus is on both lanes to merge in turn. :roll:

Alan, how do you cope?