To the motorcyclist on the A57 who made the obscene gesture @ 1710

Does the highway code say you can?

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 13:05 ----------

Why should they when the laws we've created specifically say that they don't have to? :roll:

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 13:07 ----------

Here we go. This is about selfishness and and unreasonable sense of entitlement. You can't do it, so no one else should be able to do it.

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 13:08 ----------

These are cycle lanes, not pavements.

Unless otherwise notes, cyclists are not allowed to cycle on the pavement. If you wanted to make a statement about shared space then you should have done so.

Shared space is dangerous on its own and should never have been done but even more so because it gives some cyclists the impression that it is alright to cycle on any pavement.

A cycle lane should be on the road and not next to a walkway.

The issue is staying in file with the flow of traffic, and I don't see no good reason why motorcyclists shouldn't have to. When they're filtering its causing another potential hazard for other road uses to watch out for, even pedestrians that may be crossing the road while traffic is stationary, they may get hit by a filtering motorcyclist.

I think possibly this applies.

That's because its going much much slower than the speed limit and it would be silly to stay behind it.

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 18:27 ----------

If there is a queue of cyclist waiting at the lights in single file on the left with no cars to their right would you not pull up to the lights along side them making another lane?

I know some ignorant cyclist (there's plenty of them) spread out across the road, it's not something i do as everybody else is much quicker than me and it would make me look more foolish than usual.

That's called taking the primary position, and it's done for safety reasons. You should look it up before calling people ignorant.

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 18:29 ----------

Shared space is dangerous on its own and should never have been done but even more so because it gives some cyclists the impression that it is alright to cycle on any pavement.

A cycle lane should be on the road and not next to a walkway.

NEXT to the walkway is fine. Shared space is literally that though, no pedestrian bit, no cycle bit, it's shared. It's not safe to cycle at much more than jogging speed and almost makes it pointless.

This however, should be safe, if it weren't for idiot pedestrians

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3923454,-1.4854915,3a,75y,276.8h,81.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stF4EIbNBDz400bhZ5txjnA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I invariably come across one or two everyday wandering in the cycle lane.

You beat me to that reply, yesterday i saw a cyclist on penistone road cycling on the pedestrian footpath with the brand new Bus and cycle lane virtually empty. He really deserved a ticket.

The way Sheffield council has gone about the cycle lanes (other councils may be as bad or worst it still doesn't mean we have to be) is a lot too blame, the confusion its created with the mixed use mean lots of people think it is now legal to cycle on a footpath. Unless its a designated cycle lane its still illegal. Ok a little in exceptional circumstances not a problem but when you get ignorant sods like one on Hillsborough corner once telling people to get out of his way forcing an elderly lady onto the road with the traffic then some education and enforcement is definitely required.

Exactly. Another spot that springs immediately to mind is Arundal Gate to Surrey street, Beggars sit on the bend with their feet across the footpath so that pedestrians have to walk on the cycle path.

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 18:34 ----------

I think possibly this applies.

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 18:27 ----------

That's called taking the primary position, and it's done for safety reasons. You should look it up before calling people ignorant.

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 18:29 ----------

NEXT to the walkway is fine. Shared space is literally that though, no pedestrian bit, no cycle bit, it's shared. It's not safe to cycle at much more than jogging speed and almost makes it pointless.

This however, should be safe, if it weren't for idiot pedestrians

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3923454,-1.4854915,3a,75y,276.8h,81.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stF4EIbNBDz400bhZ5txjnA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I invariably come across one or two everyday wandering in the cycle lane.

I agree, idiots on both sides, which is why it's too dangerous, and one thing that I always think of is a child running about. You could be the best parent in the world, they still do it.