To the motorcyclist on the A57 who made the obscene gesture @ 1710

I don't see why motorcyclists shouldn't stay in file with other traffic instead of being able to "filter" down the middle. Its dangerous, and they're often inches away from the cars either side of them.

Its attitudes like yours that cause the roads to be needlessly congested.

Its attitudes like yours that cause the roads to be needlessly congested.

And its attitudes like yours that create death and misery on the roads. They must be countless motorcyclists that have come a cropper by filtering down the middle of traffic, but oh , don't tell me, its always the car drivers fault! :roll:

It doesn't mean the law is right though. The law permits cycling on pavements and that's stupid too.

Really? It is stupid yes, but it is not allowed by law (unless it is designated as a shared use path). It may be overlooked by the authorities but that is a different matter.

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 10:33 ----------

And its attitudes like yours that create death and misery on the roads. They must be countless motorcyclists that have come a cropper by filtering down the middle of traffic, but oh , don't tell me, its always the car drivers fault! :roll:

If you drove in your driving test in the manner suggested by your posts you would fail. Most filtering accidents do occur because the driver isn't looking and moves into the path of a motorcyclist. But carry on doing what you're doing, because bikers are adept at spotting those who prevent filtering deliberately and those who do it out of inattention. One day you'll impede the wrong person and end up with no wing mirror or a big dent in your car door. Not that that behaviour is to be condoned of course.

Alan - do you also get jealous of emergency vehicles?

I see the whole point of getting a motorcycle (other than the enjoyment of riding one) is to get from A to B easier due to being able to filter through traffic. As long as its done safely and with consideration to the cars around them (which I suspect the majority do due to their own safety being compromised) then what's the big deal?

It doesn't mean the law is right though. The law permits cycling on pavements and that's stupid too.

err no, isn't that exactly what it means.

It has been tested in a court of law and found to be correct and legal, surely that makes it the very definition of 'right'???

I'm sure far more accidents and injury have been caused by pig-headed idiots who think they are better than their fellow road users.

I hope the next motorcyclist your intentionally obstruct and annoy stoves your car door in, you clearly deserve it!

I don't really go around actively obstructing motorcyclists but if I'm in two lane traffic and I notice that I'm in the way of one that is trying to make their way down the middle, I'm inclined to not move myself out of the way.

As I'm positioned correctly in the lane, not crossing or straddling any painted line, I don't view myself as being "in the way" anyway.

This tells you something about the mentality of many motorcyclists, they want and expect a lane within a lane, or to ride ON the painted white lines in the middle of the road that are there for a reason.

Have you had your car damaged after a motorcyclist filtered down the middle of traffic? It sounds like you have had a previous bad experience.

Personally I don't care whether bikers filter down the middle. More important things to worry about.

err no, isn't that exactly what it means.

It has been tested in a court of law and found to be correct and legal, surely that makes it the very definition of 'right'???

I happen to think cycling on the pavement is acceptable as long as your moving at a typical walking pace and if the pavement isn't congested with people. But as a general point, there is such a thing as bad law. Laws can be changed. Being homosexual was illegal once.