To the motorcyclist on the A57 who made the obscene gesture @ 1710

Police and paramedics fair enough, but the general population shouldn't be able to jump the queue/push in to the front. That what "filtering" basically is.

So your beef really is just because someone is getting in front of you?

So your beef really is just because someone is getting in front of you?

No its how they do it. I don't have a problem with traffic ahead and in front of me, but I just don't see why motorcyclists can't stay in file and maintain lane discipline like everyone else.

When I said "deliberately positioning myself" I didn't mean cross over the painted line and stray into the middle of the road, I meant be over to the left/right of the lane but still within it.

Why should drivers have to position themselves in the middle of the lane to give room to a filtering motorcyclist? if a motor cyclist has to invade the lane space to pass they shouldn't pass.

Why even bother to move? Why not just carry on driving in the middle of the lane and carry on with your day as normal without trying to control others? Is it a power thing?

Based on your logic, none of the drivers that overtake me on my bicycle should ever overtake, because they are invading my lane space. Maybe I should constantly ride in the middle of the lane too to prevent this?

Edited by Isabelle

Deliberately positioning myself in the road so as to prevent motorcyclists "filtering" down the middle of the traffic is what causes them to gesticulate at me.

people like you are a danger to others on the road :loopy:. hopefully one day someone gives you what you deserve!

Why can't motorcyclists stay in file with all other traffic?

Why should they when there's no need?

what gives them the right filter down the middle?

The fact they're on a motorbike, so are able, and this is acceptable under the Highway code!

just because they physically can, doesn't mean they should.

Yeah, because more congestion helps.

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 12:53 ----------

No its how they do it. I don't have a problem with traffic ahead and in front of me, but I just don't see why motorcyclists can't stay in file and maintain lane discipline like everyone else.

Why should they when there is no need to do so? Filtering is perfectly legal.

Are you one of these who refuses to give way at "merge in turn" lane narrowing?

Edited by Magilla

people like you are a danger to others on the road :loopy:. hopefully one day someone gives you what you deserve!

Read my subsequent posts in this thread.

Why should they when there's no need?

The fact they're on a motorbike, so are able, and this is acceptable under the Highway code!

Yeah, because more congestion helps.

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 12:53 ----------

Why should they when there is no need to do so? Filtering is perfectly legal.

If I was driving down pennsitone road and for some random reason the cars in both lanes in front of me were wide apart, those in the left lane were positioned far over to the left and those in the right lane positioned far over to the right, leaving a gap wide enough for me to drive through right to the front of the queue; could I go for it? and if not, why not? I can physically get through so what's the problem?

Edited by Guest

Does the highway code say you can?

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 13:05 ----------

Why should they when the laws we've created specifically say that they don't have to? :roll:

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 13:07 ----------

, but the general population shouldn't be able to jump the queue/push in to the front. That what "filtering" basically is.

Here we go. This is about selfishness and and unreasonable sense of entitlement. You can't do it, so no one else should be able to do it.

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 13:08 ----------

Yes it does, In cycle lanes which blend in with pavements.

These are cycle lanes, not pavements.

Unless otherwise notes, cyclists are not allowed to cycle on the pavement. If you wanted to make a statement about shared space then you should have done so.