Modern (digital) heating controls

There's quite a big market growing around things like the Nest thermostat and the Hive system.

Has anyone had them installed, and do they really save money?

My current central heating has a relatively new boiler (so that's efficient), but a wall thermostat from the 70's (so it definitely over/under shoots by several degrees) and timer clock that offers the usual, on/off at times for both heating/hot water, and different times for weekends.

I have just one TRV (Thermostatic radiator valve), out of 12 radiators...

I found some online quote system yesterday and it reckons £1400 to replace the thermostat and to fit electronic TRVs to all the radiators.

I can't imagine that I'd save this back very quickly since it's so expensive.

Perhaps I should start with just having TRVs fitted, then some of the less used rooms can have the radiators turned down.

http://radiator-supplies.co.uk/product/chrome-elegance-15mm-modern-radiator-valve-lockshield/?gclid=CO-nr4jRkM4CFQaNGwodtwUAXQ

£16 for TRVs, basic ones. Plus fitting off course, I guess a decent plumber could drain my system down and fit them all in a day, so call it £300 approx all in?

Could spend a little bit more and go for digital TRVs, these allow programmes for each valve, instead of just choosing a temperature.

http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/1168832/?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=sea_shoppingWT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=google_search_UK&scamp=shopping_brands&saddg=eq3&gclid=CNi00KzSkM4CFQafGwodbtIMPA

(£14 each, and that's a replacement body, doesn't come with the valve).

Or even more for ones that network up.

https://www.ledbulbs.co.uk/megaman-lightwaverf-radiator-valve-white-3-pack?kw=&fl=1000&ci=49439925273&network=pla&gclid=CIjPqNjTkM4CFWsq0wodfOgB3Q

(£30 each, also on sale in Maplin for about £50).

So, after all that rambling, has anyone gone modern? Can anyone estimate how much a TRV will save? Do TRVs pay for themselves quickly in theory?

I've spoken to a few people who have HIVE or something similar and they all rate it pretty high.

It's probably quite useful if you're in and out quite alot, but if you know Mon-Fri you're out of the house between 8am and 6pm then it's less useful and a normal digital program unit will be just as good.

I'm more interested in the money saving potential of the digital TRVs I think.

For example, bedrooms need heating to a lower temperature in the evening than living spaces. And my spare bedrooms not at all.

The living room and dining room don't need heating in a morning at all.

But if the cost is £50/radiator (buy and fit a digital TRV), how long will it take to repay that. Call it £500... Will I save £50/year or £350/year?

Nah no-way, I doubt you'd save anything near.

IMO if you're looking to save money as the primary concern then there are 3 main areas:

Insulation, and lots of it.

Bust those unnecessary drafts (but don't forget you will need good ventilation in the house)

Good quality (and well fitted) windows and doors.

Nah no-way, I doubt you'd save anything near.

IMO if you're looking to save money as the primary concern then there are 3 main areas:

Insulation, and lots of it.

Bust those unnecessary drafts (but don't forget you will need good ventilation in the house)

Good quality (and well fitted) windows and doors.

Double that.

New controls won't save you as much as minimising heat loss and using existing controls properly.

Existing controls? I'm not sure how I can tell my existing controls to not heat the two spare bedrooms... Or the living room in a morning when only the master bedroom and bathroom matter...

I suppose I could manually shut off the radiators, but then regular valves are much more of a faff to use, so when someone stays they'll end up being cold.

you can easily replace your present room thermostat with a programmable digital unit that can help using your heating for less than £30 http://www.screwfix.com/p/horstmann-drt2-programmable-digital-room-thermostat/27468

Normal TRVs should also help, but will need a plumber and a day's labour to fit.

As said before your thermal efficiency of your house is the priority over TRVs either normal or digital.

The new room stat is an easy swap and well within a DIYer's skills

The house is to the best of my knowledge already well insulated. Loft insulation comes well above the rafters, modern double glazing, cavity wall insulation.

I don't have a problem with it being cold. I just think that I'm pointlessly heating several spare rooms and reception rooms (in the morning).

We have a programmable clock for on/off cycles and an old wall thermostat, so I can't see how a newer thermostat would save me all that much. I suppose it would be more accurate and so avoid overheating. But compared to heating 4 or 5 rooms that don't need it that's going to be miniscule.

Just turn the radiators down in those particular rooms, to be fair the heat tends to spread around a house anyway so unless you keep all doors shut it's unlikely you'll be able to keep one room significantly warmer than the rest.

---------- Post added 27-07-2016 at 10:53 ----------

We have a programmable clock for on/off cycles and an old wall thermostat,

Is it a decent programmer with 3 or 4 programmable times and separate weekend programming??

Also sometimes moving the thermostat helps, ours used to be near the front door so coming in/out the house would drop the temperature around the thermostat and kick the heating in.

Moved it and no issues now (also having a wireless one you can hide from the Mrs has quite a significant impact on your bills too ;) )