Churchill"s paintings

I have just been looking at some paintings by Winston Churchill and to be honest they are rubbish.

We have better on our wall painted by our kids.

However it seems that Churchill"s efforts are worth millions and ours now"t .

I understand that he was a historical figure but our own Pete McKEE, Joe Scarborough or Conrod Lorenz can give him a ten break when it comes to artistic talent or is art in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by samssong

His paintings are not bad at all considering it was a hobby. They sell for a reasonable amount (£1.8m is the record) and not just because of his fame.

He's certainly better than Pete McKee or Joe Scarborough.

Who is Vernon Lorenz? I've never heard of him and there's nothing about him on Google.

His paintings are not bad at all considering it was a hobby. They sell for a reasonable amount (£1.8m is the record) and not just because of his fame.

Who is Vernon Lorenz? I've never heard of him and there's nothing about him on Google.

I think it is just because of Winston Churchill's fame his paintings sell for the amounts they do. I agree his works are not bad.

I think it is just because of Winston Churchill's fame his paintings sell for the amounts they do. I agree his works are not bad.

They have a definite quality to them, if anything they are very well proportioned. Most oil paintings look pretty bad if you are too close too as they are not meant to be appreciated up close.

They have a definite quality to them, if anything they are very well proportioned. Most oil paintings look pretty bad if you are too close too as they are not meant to be appreciated up close.

I agree. It said on the news yesterday that he used to give his paintings as gifts.

Quite right.

I don't think his paintings were bad, but I do not know much about art.

There was something on tv that he suffered from depression and he was able to seek solace when he was painting.

It makes you wonder what was going through his mind when he was painting if that is the case.