Churchill"s paintings

Which ones?

Although I did think was Churchill thinking war tactics and the military campaign to defeat Nazi Germany when he painted, I don't even know if he did paint during the Second World War or if he had the time. Then if he found painting therapeutic and a form of release would he be thinking of bombing Germany. These were nothing more than my own thoughts.

I'm sure he started to paint late in life and he was an accomplished artist. what few pictures I have seen they were good and I think some of them were paintings of Chartwell were he lived. So I now stand to be corrected if he did not paint during the war.

Although I did think was Churchill thinking war tactics and the military campaign to defeat Nazi Germany when he painted, I don't even know if he did paint during the Second World War or if he had the time. Then if he found painting therapeutic and a form of release would he be thinking of bombing Germany. These were nothing more than my own thoughts.

I'm sure he started to paint late in life and he was an accomplished artist. what few pictures I have seen they were good and I think some of them were paintings of Chartwell were he lived. So I now stand to be corrected if he did not paint during the war.

He also took up bricklaying perhaps he thought it would be an asset after the war.

---------- Post added 29-07-2016 at 23:11 ----------

Anybody thinking Churchill's paintings are worth more than a few thousand pounds is deluded. He was a talented artist, not an exceptional artist.

No painting is worth thousands of pounds when people through out the World need food, shelter and hospitals buildings.

Art on canvas is very nice and can be admired for the skill involved but for some one to pay millions so as to hang it on their wall is obscene.

"He also took up bricklaying perhaps he thought it would be an asset after the war."

Churchill appearing to take up brickplaying was very definitely an asset. Those pictures taken of Churchill laying bricks in the grounds of his ancestral stately home were early electoral photo opportunities. It was calculated to try and get some of the millions of working-class votes back that Churchill's party, the Tories, had lost in the 1945 election. And those photos and newsreel film of Churchill laying bricks as if he was not from one of the most privileged families in the country, but looking like a manual labourer on a building site, worked. There was a huge almost 10% swing from Labour to the Tories between 1945 and 1951, the largest swing ever in British political history in such a short time.

No painting is worth thousands of pounds when people through out the World need food, shelter and hospitals buildings.

Art on canvas is very nice and can be admired for the skill involved but for some one to pay millions so as to hang it on their wall is obscene.

What makes the value of a painting?

The value of art is defined by what one is prepared to pay for it. So my comment is more about what I think it is worth. If someone wants to pay too much for it, than that is what they feel it is worth.

But really valuable art is what has set a standard that is hard to emulate. For example, Lucian Freud's work. There is nothing like it and it has a very strong aesthetic.

Anybody thinking Churchill's paintings are worth more than a few thousand pounds is deluded. He was a talented artist, not an exceptional artist.

Yes and that is how I would have described his talent as an artist.

His paintings are worth more than a few thousand, I am sure one was sold for over a million pound.